Trans Oil Cooler? and Location

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My transmission still averaged about 190 without the radiator portion, but like mentioned earlier, would cool down much quicker after pulling a hill or a lot of stop and go traffic. In winter it still ran at 190, it just took about 10 minutes longer to get that warm.

My cooler was the original A/C condenser. I cleaned it out as best I could, filed the tubes a bit and used some JB weld to secure a brass elbow at each end to connect the hoses.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
We'll help you spend all the money you have, and some you don't have yet.

I'm running both coolers, the one in the bottom of the radiator and the extra. My routing goes from the transmission to the radiator to the TruCool cooler, back to the transmission. I also have the inline thermal thingie to bypass both coolers until the transmission fluid is warm enough. I'm really not sure I need that living here in the Bay area where winter temps rarely get below 30°F.

I replaced the front bumper with a later model which has the cutouts. They are in front of the lower portion of the radiator, so must help in cooling. I placed the TruCool cooler up higher, though, behind the main opening in the grill. There's no sense heating the air with the cooler just before it goes through the bottom of the radiator with the stock transmission cooler. It would seem kind of self-defeating. I'd rather have it effect the regular coolant, which can take more abuse.

If/when you change your transmission fluid, be sure to get whats in the torque converter too. Otherwise you're leaving a lot of the old stuff in there. Also, good time to change the transmission filter.

Do you have a diagram of how that is plumbed and where do you get one of those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online