ZF-5/NP205 T-CASE INSTALL PIC'S.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I took the beast for a spin tonight after working on it for 3+ weeks, it's not completely done but it rolls in 2wd anyways. Didn't drive too bad, the brakes felt funny like there was no vacuum - there must be some as my heater doors are moving....I'll have to check that out. The used LUK clutch adjustment needs work, too much freeplay and it takes right off the floor. I have to fabricate the 4wd shifter lever and linkage along with some painting and trimming of the trans tunnel plate around the shifter (rubbing):rolleyes:

Definitely pulls harder, the used 2wd trans seems to work good, probably feel even better with less freeplay and more release bearing pressure. I only took it up to 80km/hr but there was no driveline vibrations....There are some other odds and ends to do but I should have it ready to go to work on Monday with any luck.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I get it now, you used a 2wd ZF for your 4x4 swap, and thats how you did it. I never understood why you'd want two transfer cases.

My moms 94 F350 has the front drive shaft and mid joint knuckle like that. What is that called. Is it aftermarket?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also heard them referred to as Double-Cardan joints...actually, other than this site, I don't think I've heard of that setup referred to as a CV joint...I was always told that a CV joint was this :dunno

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Yes that is a double cardan. You'll also find those on the rear output of the transfer case on Broncos.

Adrianspeeder

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The drivline shop that I used calls them a CV, they corrected me when I said double cardigan too...LOL....How much freeplay is normal for a ZF? Mine has too much and I need to get a little more stroke on the fork.

mainiac

Reaction score
Both of my 79 f150 have them on the front driveshaft at the T-case. And the rear shaft at the T-case. PITA to change the ujoints.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like an outstanding fab job! A++ ;Sweet I just rebuilt the double cardigan in the Moosestang. Interesting gismo. I never realized there was a kind of ball and socket arrangement in there with a spring and a pin. It's a bit weird if you've never seen one.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
looks sweet!

i am curiouse, you made the tranny cross member lighter but i would think it has more stresses on it......

its awsome to see someone pull through a big project like this, now if i could get a move on mine....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's not done but getting close. The trans CM is stronger than the factory one I can assure you. It's made of 1/4" wall 2" x 2" square tubing. That CM only has up and down stress so it will hold just fine. There are some little things to finish and correct but over all I would say it's a success. Atleast I have two 205's here for parts if something does got T.U.....I'm going to finish it over the next few days as I plan to put it back into daily driver status on Monday.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV stands for constant valocity, My toyota 4x4 has one and so does my buddys mud truck which is a mixture of a 96 chevy 2wd body, 78 and 74 chevy 3/4 ton drive train. They are weak and prone to going bad under hard use. I dont know about aftermarket replacements though I have never tried one, they may be better.:dunno

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I finished the 4wd shift linkage yesterday, works good. I used a brake maxi-can yoke on the front end and a Freightliner clutch linkage Heim joint on the rear end welded to a piece of .100" wall 1/2" ID tubing. I have a little painting to finish this morning and I'm undercoating the truck this afternoon......Finished, finito.....:rolleyes: .......the 2wd to 4wd is a big conversion - loads of work but it will be worth it with the D60 and NP205 to play with. More pics today.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's some pics. The shifter handle attacheds to the two 1/4" bolts in the pivot bracket....All that's left is to bolt the handle on, undercoat the truck and road test it to the nearest gas station....:D

Last edited:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
HELL OF A JOB!!! I love to see people welding their own truck!! im glad im not the only one who grabs a torch when i need to get **** done rather than bolts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online