Injector or Worse?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Since the last time I drove the Enterprise, other than today (last week in town), I've been getting a random *tick*tick*tick* and it comes and goes. I can hear it in the cab and most of the time seems to happen under load with low throttle, or if I goose the throttle. I have 2 videos here. One is just idling in the driveway and the other I took today when I started hearing this tick more often. It's intermittent and seems like it goes away after a few seconds. If on the highway it stops when I ramp the throttle up. Please, for the love of all that is holy, let this not be more than bad injector tick. We're about to take the truck on a 800+ mile trip on Christmas day, coming back with a washer and dryer. Videos are hosted on photobucket. The squeak you hear in both videos is the throw out (clutch fork is grooved). You can hear it stop when I rest my foot on the clutch pedal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Took 2 tries to catch it. Sounds like it's the drivers front most cylinder or nearby.

EDIT: Sound can be heard at 1:08, 1:15, 1:25, 1:38 and 1:42 just for reference.*

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This does sound like an injector tick IMO. If your injection system is original, you have answered your own questions. You may need to refresh system. These systems only last about 100k-125k miles before they need to be replaced.
You can always crack open the injection lines (one at a time) while running which will help pinpoint problematic cylinder.
You can also run to the auto parts store and buy a new fuel filter along with a can of sea foam. Replace fuel filter with new one filled with sea foam, run engine for 1-2 minutes, shutoff overnight which will let the sea foam soak in system and do its job. Start her up in the morning and give it a workout. This might clear up that injector tick if pintles are a little carboned up. This, however, will not fix worn out injectors & IP.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This does sound like an injector tick IMO. If your injection system is original, you have answered your own questions. You may need to refresh system. These systems only last about 100k-125k miles before they need to be replaced.
You can always crack open the injection lines (one at a time) while running which will help pinpoint problematic cylinder.
You can also run to the auto parts store and buy a new fuel filter along with a can of sea foam. Replace fuel filter with new one filled with sea foam, run engine for 1-2 minutes, shutoff overnight which will let the sea foam soak in system and do its job. Start her up in the morning and give it a workout. This might clear up that injector tick if pintles are a little carboned up. This, however, will not fix worn out injectors & IP.

x2 if it was a lifter or a valve, you would hear it pretty constantly.
however, i would still pull the valve covers and give it a good inspection.
then seafoam or ATF it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's a HUGE relief. I actually have my new filter here. I was planning on doing the change when I go to replace the front clip since I was planning on doing the Duralift install and replacing the FSV. I may just do it today then. I have been reining diesel kleen pretty consistently for a few months now. I know that I should be getting a pump and injectors. I'd really like a mini moose or a jr (don't know how that would work out on a N/A) and moose mates, but getting hit by the that escalade put a real big dent in saving up for those. Plus I need new injector lines since they are just bent up E-series lines. Those are the pricey parts I really need. Truck has 16**** on it, but has a Jasper reman 7.3L. Engine could've been pulled from another truck and the pump and injectors could've been from the original engine. PO was very forward with the fact that he didn't know and wasn't told when he bought the truck. Looks like it's been in there for a good while.

Can I mix ATF and Seafoam in the new filter? I have both, but the Seafoam can states to only run it in the crankcase.

Last edited:

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I heard toward the end of the second tape sounded too "metallic" to be an injector. I suspect a lifter losing pressure temporarily; loss of oil pressure to lifter for whatever reason, or a bad lifter. I'd change the oil, maybe flush with a thinner oil, refill with the usual. If that didn't fix it I'd pull the valve cover & have a look see. Probably get a mechanics stethoscope on it before anythin though.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a big screwdriver as a stethoscope. Works pretty good if you can get to the injector with out too much trouble.

Dave

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I did an oil change less than 500 miles ago. New PSD filter, Motorcraft 15w-40 and a bottle of main seal additive. After I took the video I dumped a bottle of lucas in the crankcase. Had only lost about a quart since the oil change and previously was topping off about once or twice a month (2 quarts). It sounded metallic to me as well. I had to goose the throttle to get it to make the noise again, happens on deceleration mostly (particularly in the video). I was worried that it was a valve, lifter or maybe a pushrod that bent a little? When I got hit and knocked into the ditch last month, the truck was in 3rd or 4th gear and was still in gear when I went to start it before getting winched out (I did put it in neutral before winching).

Sound can be heard at 1:08, 1:15, 1:25, 1:38 and 1:42 just for reference. I'll put that in the starting post as well.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think I just had a return line cap melt? Uploading pics.

Getting of the highway I noticed mist/smoke in the cab and pulled off and had it under hood too. Diesel on the drivers valve cover and looked like it was bubbling out from Wenger one return line meets a cap. Looks to be shredded or melt plastic right there too.

Safe to drive the 15 miles home?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Bubbling out around the base of an injector. Third back front the front on drivers side.

Edit: Nope, definitely the return cap. Looks like the plastic I found is a whole in the side of the return line cap. I'm in town and it's about a 15 minute drive home at 60-65 mph. Need to know if it's safe to drive it home.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Bump!

Started out back home. Stopped a few miles down the road as the smoke in the cab was increasing. Alternating between throttle and coasting to try to keep it down. Letting it cool a bit right now.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up my Liqua Moly diesel purge...better than seafoam or atf...completely closed loop setip to get injectors cleaned out.

May want to try that route for cheap???

Good lu k getting it home.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I have both ATF and Seafoam, but a hole blown/melted in a return line cap means I can do anything until I get it and the root cause replaced/fixed.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score

Just did another few miles to the back road that leads me home. Letting it cool some more. Looks like it sprays when I'm on the throttle. Lots of misty diesel fumes being pushed into the cab when moving and on the throttle.

I did put a cresent wrench on the injector in question while in town and it tightened down some. The one in front of it moves both ways (tighten and loosen), to much for comfort.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say you could drive it... just remember you will be down on power, and it will make one hell of a mess........

If a cap melted, then that would mean the pintle in the injector is stuck OPEN, and the compression and exhaust (heat) is being blown back into the body of the injector and making the injector hot causing the melted plastic. If possible, I would limp it somewhere safe.... if you have to limp it home, then so be it...... but that injector is DONE!!!!! I hope you have a spare, or can find one, because your aren't taking this truck on the 800 mile Christmas trip the way it is.......... I know there are many recommendations on this site about injectors and where to get them, but for this one, ANY injector would be better at this point, even if it came from the junkyard or autozone...... as long as the injector actually works, you are better off.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online