Injector or Worse?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Definitely won't get to drive her on the x-mas run. Looks like I'll be shelling out for injectors. May as well get all new but we'll have to run the IP I have for awhile.

@typ4, how much are your remans and what's the core return process?

Last edited:

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the bright side, replacing an injector is a lot easier than replacing a lifter (glad I was wrong). Just replaced all eight of my injectors, it was easier than spark plugs on my wife's minivan.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
V-block spark plug replacement sucks. That's why my only V-block is s diesel :D

But anyway, made it home after making another safety so and sopping up diesel in the valve cover. Sure I'm glad that I'll finally be replacing injectors, but I'll have to do it in the driveway in January and it's definitely one of the last opertun times to have to do it. Looking like I may not get called back to work for awhile as I just caught wind of yet another round of layoffs.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Just ordered a used set of F-series injector lines off ebay for $70 shipped. Messaged the guy last week to make sure they are unbent and solid. But will need new olives. If I'm pulling one injector, I'll pull and replace them all and the lines/seals return kit and filter at the same time.

As far as symptoms go, I started noticing some power loss last month, particularly after the wreck. She seemed like she was ******* compared to normal. This heavy @$$ truck will accelerate faster than my '08 Hyundai Accent with a 1.8L (very light car), at least used to up to about a month ago.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What snicklas said x1004747495

Do not put a new cap set on before changing injectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Does Russ just rebuild your old injectors, or send you rebuilt ones and charge a core?

If he just rebuilds the ones you send him, how are the IDI performance stock remans (Jason I think his name is? I know some aren't a fan of his). Like I said, I'd love to do 8 Moose Mates, but I don't have the dough for them, else I'd replace the IP too. Still have a wedding to pay for.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I could, but if one went than I'm afraid another one will follow. Since I'll have to pull one, may as well pull the rest so I won't have to mess with it again through the winter. My garage closed holds less heat than yours with a tarp over the back of the truck :eek:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Exactly. Hopefully @typ4 will chime in on his services.

In the meantime, anyone use the R&D stock injectors? Do the "stage 1" injectors trade some fuel economy for HP/torque?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in the R&D stock injectors, I've only got about 200 miles on them but so far I'm happy. No leaks that I can notice & runs nice & smooth.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's good to hear. If I go with his injectors I'll do the option where I send my old ones in after I get the new ones for the refund. I am curious about the stage 1 injectors since they don't cost much more, but fuel mileage is a concern for me. Was netting about 14-15 mpg average around here (stops and goes), but much better cruising on the open highway. I would love more power, but being a CCLB dually that will be a 4x4 at some point in the hopefully near future, I'd like to lose no more that a single mpg average on "bigger" injectors. They would be helpful when I finally get the rails in the bed for the 5th wheel. '77, 8k, wooden framed beast on bias tires.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only difference you may get with injectors is increased mileage.
Your right foot is your only mpg control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk