7.3 idi fuel filter light but worse

cragenj3

Reaction score
FSS has to be it...arrives by 10pm. What's the other electronic component in there, that lets fuel out into the returns...it's probably going to go next ey?. If I pull the cover and reinstall; that's the longest the truck will run. I think once the FSS gets fuel inside it's piston it can't retract (open the fuel) and thus the stalling...once pressure bleeds down it will start up for another few seconds.

Also; a Delphi return cap already leaks. I had 6 of 8 OEM caps I put back on...what's the name brand y'all trust?..

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the FSS is engaged it doesn't disengage until the key is turned off.

If it does disengage without turning the key off. I would guess that the vibration of the engine starting is causing it to lose power to the solenoid.

If it still does it with a hot wire to the battery that you are certain isn't losing contact, I would next look at the FSS ground strap that is connected to the front passenger side top cover screw for damage.

If that is clean, tight and not broken, make sure that someone wasn't playing with the IP timing and left the mounting bolts lose. The FSS function relies on the IP having a good ground to the block.

James

cragenj3

Reaction score
New filter full of tranny fluid, new FSS and IP full of trans fluid... It ran good for about a minute then got lopey and started dying again. Filter doesn't get air in it anymore, no visible leaks but I just don't trust any return fittings now.
Maybe oring/gasket on the IP cover..or IP auto timing from fuel pressure from using trans fluid instead of diesel is messing with it?

cragenj3

Reaction score
I do have an air pocket in my clear IP to front drivers return; bout a half inch bubble. It will go forward or backward but never come out...I'm going to just leave my epump on for a few hours see if it'll fix itself I guess. When I swapped the FSS it took a minute or two to mostly fill the hose but that last little air pocket won't leave with any amount of bleeding, wobbling, schradering, cranking...

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the beginning I read that your e-pump gave only 3 Psi, I've seen that they speak about 5 Psi everywhere for this engine. could that be the thing? are you sure your e-pump has enough volume?
What do you mean by: fsv valve?
another thing I thought of, did you clean thoroughly all your filter head passages?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online