zf5 master cylinder

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The one on My 93 ford is sweating, not really loosing any fluid but I think it may be bypassing the fluid and therefore I'm not getting enough travel out of it. I looked at rock auto and found there are two types I think one kind of short or with the reservoir at the end of the MC (the one I have now) and another one a little longer with the reservoir in the middle, is this last one for heavier duty? if so, that is what I need. Also I only see they are 7/8" bore so that confuses Me I thought there was a 1" bore.
Do they share the hydraulic hose connection size?

Thank You.

Last edited:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
they are both 7/8 bore but the problem is the one with the reservoir on the end is for the stripped chassis or panel van body. the line comes striaght out the bottom vs coming out at the end and the line itself has different bends.

Don't buy the dorman one, its junk. i have a wagner in my truck now and i keep a master and slave behund my back seat just incase.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I was hoping the longer one was stronger or have more travel.
I'm using this with a 1" bore slave cylinder, I think the master I have isn't pushing enough to move the dodge slave I have, therefore the clutch doesn't disengage completely and makes it harder to shift.
Now My question is, would a 7/8" bore work properly with a 1" bore slave?
I could use the dodge master but I'm trying to accomplish the same results with a ford master to keep it factory in the cab.

Thank You.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, a 7/8 bore pushing a larger 1 inch bore will give more leverage, but less travel. That's exactly how a hydraulic jack works-lots of pumps with the small piston gives lots of leverage but very little movement on the main piston of the jack.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are correct, a 7/8 bore pushing a larger 1 inch bore will give more leverage, but less travel. That's exactly how a hydraulic jack works-lots of pumps with the small piston gives lots of leverage but very little movement on the main piston of the jack.

Thank You, that is good news. Now is there any ford clutch master cylinder 1" bore I can use?

Thanks.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
This might be off topic but i was actually laying in bed last night thinking about how my stock ford master and slave cylinder are going to hold up to my valair heavy duty pressure plate. I hope i dont burst a line or something :confused:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. There is very little pressure compared to the Brakes. Same type components but less strain.

Dave

Exekiel69

Reaction score
OK I'm looking for a 1" bore ford master cylinder to replace the 7/8" bore I have now, anyone have a part #?

Or how hard is it to turn a 7/8" bore into a 1" bore?

Thank You.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ez-
the plastic slave cyl uses a stainless steel sleeve inside the plastic housing. they aren't modifiable.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ouch, and I keep looking for a master cylinder with 1" bore as the slave and nothing :dunno. I even checked the dodge master cylinder and they are also 7/8", what gives?
How do I get full travel out of the slave?

Checked several other ford years (OBS) and seems they are all 7/8" as well.

Thank You.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance