zd-9 vs zd-11 glow plugs

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference between a zd-9 and a zd-11 glow plug is? I am aware that the 11 is supposed to be for the PSD and the 9 is for IDIs. But what is the physical difference?

What I want is an actual 12 volt GP that uses the bullet style harness not the spade. But i can't seem to find any useful specs on the zd-11 to find out if it's 12v or even the same size and threads as our zd-9s

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Won't work.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There both 12VDC plugs. ZD11 is about an inch longer than the ZD9. Both have the same 10mm threads.

I can take a comparison pic tomorrow if needed.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't ZD9s rated at 6v, and we over-volt them to get a much faster warmup?

The later ZD9s should come with bullet connectors.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't ZD9s rated at 6v, and we over-volt them to get a much faster warmup?

The later ZD9s should come with bullet connectors.

That is correct. The zd9s are only rated for 6v. The idea Ford had was that there was considerable loss of current though the wiring and the GP controller and solenoid. In addition to that they found that putting higher voltage to the low rated GPs, they would heat faster. This worked great... If your GP solenoid worked. Unfortunately that seemed to be weak link and many of us have since converted to a push button manual GP setup. This now sends a full 12+ volts to the GPs. If you're not careful even our "glorified" motorcraft/beru GPs will burn up quick. If you've got the push button an actual 12v GP would make more sense, although it will take a little longer to heat. I just can't find any 12v ones with the bullet style tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online