ya more turbo talk..... maps

sootman73

Reaction score
so a guy at work taught me alot about reading turbo maps today. we figured for 20lbs of boost that a T61 turbo would work great. the efficiency range is about perfect for these motors....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Isn't it great to actually understand those graphs? There's a lot to learn.

It makes Me wonder why the Peeps that designed these aftermarket systems did not allow for any more modifications. The Mitsu Turbo that Banks uses is right on the edge @ 18 PSI

sootman73

Reaction score
ya they look pretty complicated at first but they really aren't bad once someone tells you what everything means.

does anyone know where a map for the factory turbo can be found? its a garrett turbo right?

sootman73

Reaction score
f2 that seems like an awfully small turbo by looking at the few maps i found....?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a gareet its got ar70 and m46 on its intake side just looked at the spare

sootman73

Reaction score
thats just an A/R ratio and a casting number. i need to know what turbo garrett calls it. is it a T04B, T04E, or something else like that?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory turbo is a T04B, H-trim.

It's in its sweet spot at the factory boost level of 6-7 psi, beyond that it kinda sucks.

sootman73

Reaction score
Ah thank you thats what i was looking for!

ghunt i know you were looking for turbo options... what did you figure out?

sootman73

Reaction score
i dont have it right now either but it wont be long before i do... plus now i have access to the knowledge to do it. a guy at work has already offered to help me put a different turbo on and re-plumb everything.

matter of fact he has a turbo'd thunderbird too. LOL

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tbird have the turboed pinto engine? I had one of those before. It moved really well but I sold it quickly for a decent profit. Also I had concerns with the cam/follower design in regards to how they fail.
The turbos used on our trucks are the t04b.

I found some info around the net that might shed a little light on t04b and t04e differences.

Garrett have been making T04 turbos for a very long time, the very first (oldest) range of compressor wheels and housings were known as T04B range, and that covers several sizes such as T04B S3, V1, V2, H3, and others. You often find these on E-bay but they are getting old now, and are not the most efficient blade profiles or housings.

About thirty years ago Garrett brought out a whole new range of more efficient wheels and housings known as the T04E range. These were available in a wide range of trims, T04E-40, T04E-46, 50, 54, 57, and T04E-60 the largest size compressor. These typically have wider flow ranges and higher efficiencies than the T04B.

The latest Garrett compressors are the T04Z range, and would be the ones to order if buying a brand new turbo.

All these sizes only refer to the compressor wheel, they tell you absolutely nothing about the exhaust turbine or exhaust cover a/r.

Any exhaust turbine could be fitted to any compressor wheel, so saying a turbo is a T04E really means nothing.

It could be a TO4E 40 trim fitted to a standard T3 0.63 a/r Commodore turbine which would be only marginally larger than the original stock T3 60 trim compressor. (34 Lbs/min versus 31 Lbs/min airflow).

Or it could be a T04E 60 trim with a T4 P flow turbine and 1.2 a/r. That would be a real monster. Which is more like 50 Lb/min maximum airflow)

There is also this...
These are Garrett specs, any afterworked turbo may slightly differ from these. Use as a guideline.
Common T04B compressors:
S trim (37 lb/min)
V trim (48 lb/min)
H trim (49 lb/min)

Common T04E compressors:
40 trim (36 lbs/min)
46 trim (41 lbs/min)
50 trim (47 lbs/min)
54 trim (45 lbs/min -- note that the 54 trim flows less than the 50 trim)
57 trim (49 lbs/min)
60 trim (50 lbs/min)

A 57 or 60 trim T04E is a good compressor, but you have to mate it with the correct a/r turbine housing for your application.

There are so many different combinations of compressor housings, compressor wheels, turbine housing, turbine wheels that it will blow your mind.

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
well the information i have is that the kit turbos were built to do one thing and nothing more. unlike a cummins stocker or psd stocker that is capable of doing quite a bit more over stock compared to our turbos.

so what your saying is the compressor i picked will stay in its efficiency range if i match it with the correct turbine. right? i have to know more about the exhaust side of the factory turbo to make a move to the proper turbine housing, trim, and a/r ratio.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This site has a great online catalog that also contains maps, illustrations, and readable specs.
http://turbocharged.com/main.htm

This is the premier site for performance enhancements of turbos.
http://www.turboneticstv.com/featured_landing.php?reset=true

They also have a knowledgeable support staff.
When choosing a turbo for higher boost applications you tend to lose your lower end gains because you need more air to push more air which means needing to operate at a higher rpm. The best thing for us to do is make our turbos systems more efficient since they aren't considered to be efficient by todays standards