WVO

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so with the price of diesel on the rise im seriously considering running on WVO, my question is what kind of filtering system would i need to filter the WVO. My thought was run a few oil filters first, then run it though a fuel filter, a low micron. So I would have it first go though a like 15 micron then like a 9 and then a 5, then go to a 2 micron fuel filter or something. But i also need to separate the water, so i guess i would do that first, or i could have all my oil filters have the water separator built in or something. Not really sure about that.

But then my next question is, is it possible to do a conversion like people do to their MB 300Ds. Where they can start and stop on veggie?

My thought is with gas prices hitting 4 bucks a gallon again, i don't know if ill be able to afford to drive unless i do something. So any ideas would be great.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to be starting and stopping on WVO with the 6.9/7.3, you might get away with it at least in warm weather, but you might not either. To do it right you want to have a hose in hose or hose on hose heat exchanger to heat your oil to 120*F or hotter. I've also recently been told by grease fire that your stock steel tanks will not be a good idea for a WVO conversion. Not real sure what the solution is, but some HDPE plastic tanks would work well as long as the oil doesn't get much hotter than 120-130.Your best bet for water separating is to collect your oil well in advance of your needs and then pour it into a barrel. Your solids and most free water will fall to the bottom of the tank, so you want to draw more than a few inches from the bottom or with a standpipe. I would suggest filtration in steps 1) windowscreen 2) 100 micron 3) 30-50 micron 4) 2-5 micron.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
There is a lot of information on either the frybrid.com/forumforum or http://biodiesel.infopop.cc

I've been involved for quite a while with frybrid. The current design uses a micro controller to control the switching of the three three way valves, final heat exchanger, hose in hose lines and an in tank heat exchanger which keeps the pick up hot, while minimizing tank heating. The tanks are still fabbed out of aluminum.
The logic behind this is to try to avoid polymerization of the veg oil. It's a drag when it happens, and it's accelerated by steel, copper, and heat among other things.
You can run systems with less parts or less optimum solutions, but not without giving up reliability or usability in a range of climates.
I think WVO is a great option on our trucks and have about 35k miles of driving on my work truck over the last 5 years. (yeah the commute is short!) The payback works out a lot better for people who drive a lot. I haven't had any fuel system problems (IP or Injector) and the cost of those parts is really cheap when you buy diesel @ 3.79/gal here in Seattle. Good Luck

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until you can find a few consistant sources dont waste you money on any conversion stuff. You'll be fine to filter it to 1-2 micron and blend it w/ diesel. I do this whenever I find a few gallons, I still start and stop on the front tank just incase.
Around here its almost impossible to get a good source of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726