Will this shaft fit my 85 f350?

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand I'm good for I believe 80s-91. But I wasn't sure I could/should upgrade it by using a new model with little modifications. Having a hard time with newer models at 60bucks and older at 200. Ah well. Win some lose some

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to do my '86 and could not believe the cost of the borg but found mine for $192 w/free shipping / tax free at the time a few years ago. Had to cut about 8" from the lower end but was easy to set up. Took all the slop out of steering after steer gear replacement.
More stuff out there for newer trucks. Just have to be sure it is not coming from China with inferior steel.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case the joints and rag joint were all good but the "double D" type slip-fit was where all the play was.

Since I had nothing to loose I zip-tied some old feeler gauge material inside on the flat part, worked well for a long while.

For a more permanent fix, I separated the shafts and drilled and tapped the outer flat side of the D and put in a big set screw. Blue threadlocker and it's never loosened up on me, going on 4 years I think.
In the event of a big collision the set screw will not keep the shaft from collapsing, retaining the purpose of that collapsible shaft.