Which truck to fix.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 non running Ford trucks. One is a 1990 F250 4x4 7.3. The other is an 85 F250 2wd 6.9. The 1990 starts and the e40d transmission does not move. The 85 has been sitting for about 10 years but I might be able to get it running. It has a manual transmission. Now I am trying to decide what to do. I could try switching the manual trans into the 90 or I could just try and get the 85 running. I could use parts from the 90 to get the 85 running. dont knwo what to do.

7.3shrk

Which one do you prefer? Do you need one more than the other? If you hold on to the 1990, I would personally start off with a four wheel drive trans than trying to convert a two wheel drive trans to four wheel drive. Just simpler in my opinion. It all comes down to preference and which one has a better body/better suits your needs. Let me know if you do decide to get rid of the 1990, as I could use the trans computer (if you part it out) or get the 1985 running for now and hold out until you can afford a new trans for the 1990.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck should still have the trans computer on it but its a 94 not sure if it makes a difference. I have a manual trans now.

7.3shrk

I think it should work, got a free e40d and am itching to put it in.....

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son in law called me one day a couple of years ago to look at his e4od. The truck would not move forward or back. We put fresh fluid in it and filter(if you can call it that and dumped in a bottle of the lucas trans mission conditioner, the thin stuff, not the thick stuff. got in it and with the truck idling ran it through all the gears., Back and forth back and forth. We were about to give up and all of the sudden the thing started creeping. Then she took hold. I had already apologize to him for convincing him to spend the money for every thing before it started moving. A few month later the truck was swamped down in Houston by hurricane Ike, a 300 mile drive that the truck made twice a month. Try it, it's not that expensive and it just might work.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many tranny rebuilders out there that do a poor job of rebuilding. Tear em down,clean em up, clean the valve bodies (hopefully), damn few parts are renewed, hopefully all the check balls (16) were put back in. There is a difference in mfg. years of how many and size of check balls there are. Personally I would trust a Ford rebuilt to be rebuilt correctly, as far as I know they are sent to a Ford shop were they do nothing but rebuild. Then a Magnafine filter is installed in the return line to catch any debris that might be left in the radiator or aux cooler(s), that is a must do thing. I know Brian, Wilson and Sun and the like do performance rebuilds, not knocking them.
The E4OD is a good tranny if maintained correctly. A lot of trucks were bought without a tow package, maybe the 1st owner abused them, then someone gets them used and loads the hell out of them, then condemns them for being a lousy transmission. It's all in knowing how to maintain them.

Did the rebuilder put or recommend a filter be installed in the return line? If not, there goes the tranny again.

Sorry I didn't ask condor74 if a filter was installed.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone is interested in the computer I don't think it has to be left in my truck does it? Make an offer on it. As far as I can tell there shouldn't be any reason I would need the computer anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online

No members online now.