which oil is "best" For our old powerstrokes?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i had a long conversation with one of the tech's at amsoil corporate and he said that they're testing showed mobil delvac as the best petroleum diesel oil. I know there are huge differences in the oils and especially now with the new low ash oils so my question is what readily available oil is best for our "oldies"? there are certain ingredients that they need etc.

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
Which Delvac? I run Delvac 1 5W-40 which is fully synthetic. There is also Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 and 15W-40. Strange for a Amsoil tech to tell you to use Mobil.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevron Delo 400
Shell Rotella
Mobil Delvac

Those are the three most readily available brands you will find. Which is the best one? Well, the one you choose is the best. ;)

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the delvac 15w40. What the amsoil tech said is: "if youre not going to run our product, the best petroleum oil is delvac 15w40"

Where would you even get delvac 1 5w40 and how much for a gallon?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Interesting......comming from an Amsoil rep ;Really

My real world experience on 3 IDI's that each went 300k + miles and my current '96 PSD at 290K miles ---all were fed Rotella T 15w/40 at roughly 5k changes.

Low consumption, great cold weather starting {in my climate} and Rotella has a good soot control feature that aids in breaking down the only real abrasive element {other than airborne dirt} detrimental to diesel engines.

Mobil Delvac, Texaco Ursa, Chevron Delo 400 are also great diesel oils as well but I tend to stay with what works for me;Sweet

just my couple pennies...

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sure that there all good, but i was wondering if there was some that haven't changed to be the new low ash formula etc for the new egr/dpf diesels?

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all oils even diesel specific have had to reduce zinc and phosphorous content to meet new regulations - not a big deal in diesels with roller cams.... - but a big deal if you have an older gas engine with a flat tappet cam.

I ran 15w40 rotella - and switched to synthetic 5w40 rotella based on advise on several forums.... my engine simply loves it! Starts MUCH easier in cold weather and is MUCH quieter / smoother when cold.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see. so as long as it a major trusted brand and its a modern self adjusting engine it should be okay?

No one ever replied on my gulf coast intall.

I need help as to how to shrink the pictures so i can post them.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
amsoil is awsome stuff isnt it. but im going to run 15w40 delvac for 2 more oil changes with the gulf coast bypass to "clean" the engine out then i will change out to synthetic

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my friends have run rotella 15w40 for years in thier trucks and never had an issue.ive been running the same since i bought my IDI 6 years ago and will run nothing else.i wont run a synthetic if you payed me!seen a few good motors go to hell after swithing to synthetic and seen 1 motor **** oil so bad it looked like a faucet was turned on.switched back to rotella dino oil and the oil leaks disappeared.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes if the engine leaks at all or has loose items that have been cushioned by dino oil, it wont be pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online