Which centrifuge should I buy?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I have been filtering my WMO down to 5 microns using fuel filters. It is not enough. I am getting a buildup in my injectors. I have been running wmo through a cheap "test mule" 6.9 in my pickup. After 10-15K miles, I have learned that it works, but the suspended carbon/soot in the filtered wmo messes up my injectors. I really have not cared up to now because I have been using cheap/free parts.

Now I have no choice, I have to install my very good 7.3 IDI engine. It runs good and has a nice clean fuel system. I do not want to mess this one up.

In addition to that, I am installing a 'stroke in my 86' CCSB and I really do not want to foul up those injectors.

So what centrifuges are ya'll running and for how long.

I am convinced that a good centrifuge will pay for itself. I have already saved thousands of dollars, but I have been fouling injectors with black grit.

Anybody have several thousand miles on wmo with nice clean, properly functioning injectors still?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've got a PA Biodiesel centrifuge, I actually bought their complete system
This is the one I have: http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/60-gph-deluxe-oil-centrifuge-kit-p-120.html

They do just sell their Fuge if you have your own setup you want to use.

I have filtered roughly 200 gallons on mine and am extremely happy with it. I generally do about 8 passes which gets it down into the .5 or less micron range. Since filtering this way vs. with bags or other filters I have not clogged a fuel filter once (hope I didn't just jinx myself :rotflmao)

Call Joe @ PABio. He's a super nice guy to deal with. He's a bit hard to reach as this is a side venture for him, but he's very good about calling you back in the evenings.

I completely agree with you that a good filtering setup pays for itself. I spent $6800 last year in Diesel for my personal vehicle. It doesn't take very long at all to have a higher end filtering system pay for itself, even more so with the increasing fuel prices.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, wmoguy.

This may be a silly question, but what does the final product "look like"?

Is it still black and gooey? :confused:

not gooey at all. It's got the consistency of diesel when it's all said and done. The black is still there, it can't remove carbon

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fail to see the point of a centrifuge:dunno

Filter to 5 microns, add RUL, let sit for two days. Drain off the junk at the bottom, then fill'er up!;Sweet

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score

Filter to 5 microns, add RUL, let sit for two days. Drain off the junk at the bottom, then fill'er up!;Sweet

That is what I have been doing, but my injectors are frying my RUL in the tips, according to OLDBULL's article. For the record, I believe that is what is happening.

I can now understand why I am having problems. I run the thing HARD, pulling hills at 80mph for hours on end and pulling trailers all day. :angel:

wmoguy

Reaction score
yep using filters or bags will always let particles thru. most I've seen aren't designed to stop 100% of the particles larger than X microns. Centrifuge w/ multiple passes = gets all particulates above X microns.

Its also WAY cheaper in the long run when you consider the cost of filters.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score

Man, that's just not enough- and RUG is used to thin WVO, not WMO. WVO has lubricity to spare. I use heat, 6 passes on 0.5micron bag filters AND a centrifuge for 6 passes and still clean black gunk out of the 'fuge. I will say though, that my injectors look good- probably because I run water/**** injection and a tank of #2 every 4 or 5 tanks of WMO...

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Man, that's just not enough- and RUG is used to thin WVO, not WMO. WVO has lubricity to spare. I use heat, 6 passes on 0.5micron bag filters AND a centrifuge for 6 passes and still clean black gunk out of the 'fuge. I will say though, that my injectors look good- probably because I run water/**** injection and a tank of #2 every 4 or 5 tanks of WMO...

Biofarmer, do you have a pic of your setup?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I got the pumps for you guys. Oberdorfer cast iron pump connected to a Baldor 3/4hp 120v motor. I was going to post these on ebay but I'd rather sell these to oilburner bretheren that might need them. Price is $180 + ship. I'll package 1 up this weekend so I can figure out weight.
Link to pump info: http://www.oberdorfer-pumps.com/Spec_sheets/c9941b2.pdf
I do have more than 6 of these.