What's my '93 7.3 IDI E-350 Ambulance/Motorhome worth?

Gr8ful

Reaction score
88,000 actual miles, runs & looks great, no rust, everthing works. It's painted Omaha Orange & White, no ambulance markings. Heat & air to the rear also. Had 2 new batteries, new tires, new 250 amp altonator & serp belt right before I bought it. I drove it almost 300 miles home & she ran like a swiss watch. No turbo. AFAIK it needs nothing. Has the tach, amps it's putting out & amps it's using, heat. It was the back-up ambo for a small firehouse. Professionally maintained all it's life. It's titled as a motorhome but my health isn't going to let me travel around the country. Thanks in advance for your help.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People seem to really like van motorhomes right now and an ambulance is pretty close. I can't speak to the value, but this guy wants $8000 for a 460 4x4 1987 version with super low mileage. If you trade the diesel engine for 4WD, one could speculate that yours should be in the same ballpark :dunno

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
What is inside it now? Motorhomey type / livable interior or ambulance interior?
I bought a 1996, no turbo 7.3 ambulance, non-dually rear, and found the ambulance body very heavy and the engine well underpowered as compared to my 1998 turbo 7.3 E-350

I paid $2900. for the ambulance - although that was about ten years ago.
88,000 actual miles, runs & looks great, no rust, everthing works. It's painted Omaha Orange & White, no ambulance markings. Heat & air to the rear also. Had 2 new batteries, new tires, new 250 amp altonator & serp belt right before I bought it. I drove it almost 300 miles home & she ran like a swiss watch. No turbo. AFAIK it needs nothing. Has the tach, amps it's putting out & amps it's using, heat. It was the back-up ambo for a small firehouse. Professionally maintained all it's life. It's titled as a motorhome but my health isn't going to let me travel around the country. Thanks in advance for your help.

Figor

Reaction score
I watch a lot of government auction sites and the price of these things has quadrupled in the last 10 years. There is definitely a lot more interest in them now.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
I watch a lot of government auction sites and the price of these things has quadrupled in the last 10 years. There is definitely a lot more interest in them now.
It's like everything else I've ever sold. <g> Should have kept the XKE, the Austin Healey's, and the Indians. All just used vehicles when I sold them - priced as collector items now. <g> In the 1970's I bought a used 1970 VW Westfalia camper and camped all over the place - all fun times. Recently I mused about having it back and found that it's a $30,000. item now. <g>

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I bought a 1996, no turbo 7.3 ambulance, non-dually rear, and found the ambulance body very heavy and the engine well underpowered as compared to my 1998 turbo 7.3 E-350
I'd have to guess that it was an IDI. It was probably made as an incomplete vehicle and then finished in 1996 or at least during the 1996 model year. When it was finished, it was then registered as the year that it was ready to sell. That's the only way that I can see a 1996 with a 7.3 not having a turbo.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
I'd have to guess that it was an IDI. It was probably made as an incomplete vehicle and then finished in 1996 or at least during the 1996 model year. When it was finished, it was then registered as the year that it was ready to sell. That's the only way that I can see a 1996 with a 7.3 not having a turbo.
Could my ambulance 7.3 have been a 1994? My memory isn't Everything. <g> Which reminds me: I have a 2007 truck in NJ and a 2004 truck in Florida. For years I was absolutely Positive that it was the opposite. <g> I forget now what part I was buying but after it didn't fit I was faced with the hard truth: my memory ain't Everything! <g>

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Could my ambulance 7.3 have been a 1994?
That's possible as well. Either way it would have been built as an incomplete vehicle. Depending on the situation at the place of final assembly, I could see it taking two years to finish and get registered. We did have a customer who wanted to buy a 7.3 IDI for his 1997. We tried to tell him that it would be a PSD, but he insisted that it was an IDI. When he got there, he explained that he had dome something major (I can't remember what) his truck and it had to be registered as the year that it was completed, not the year of the frame/drivetrain. He happened to come to pick it up in a OBS ford that had been sat on a highly modified medium duty chassis complete with a 3208 Cat engine. It was registered as a Ford that was the year that he got that one finished. It seems like it was a 1998? Strange things can and do happen. My friend who turned a 1997 F250 Ex cab long bed into a crew cab, short bed used a 1988 cab (if I remember it right either way, it was an earlier cab). It's registered as a 1997 so he must have done something legal to switch the VIN over. He bought the truck as a rollover in 1999 so it isn't registered as the year that it was finished.

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Gr8ful , due to covid and the 'van life', movement, prices have gone bananas. Ambulances have a certain cool factor as well. Particularly with the under 30 crowd. instagram has loads for accounts with them..

Is this a type III or a van?

Check facebook market place for private sale prices.. except for the IDI factor, If it's clean, and the ad is written for the right market, I would not be surprised if it could easily get above 5k nowadays.

GovDeals sold
a '93 E350 with 85k miles no air, no power windows, no power locks in Nov '20 for $3,600
a '94 E350 with 90k miles in Feb '21 for $7,600
and a '94 turbo E350 with 72k miles for $10,200
And these are at auction..

Gr8ful

Reaction score
It's straight ambo inside & looks 2 years old, no joke. I drove it 300+ miles home & i ran it up to 90 with no problem, it seems to have plenty of power maybe not exess but it got 16-17 mpg & has all the options & everything works. Thanks!

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a town with lots of hipsters and you may find a buyer willing to part with a few extra bucks. I live near one of these towns and I see plenty of ambo rigs in various states of customization and CList always seems to have one or two.

Jbone36

Reaction score
I currently own an ambulance and still working on it now. its a 93 superduty 7.3 4x4 stick had a turbo and automatic but now i have installed a donor engine and trans from 89 f450. As it sits its worth about 15,000.. i know this because i searched the whole US years back to find 4wd stick under 20k with no luck.Now they have exploded in price due to youtubers proving time and again that these are more solid than any camper built in tje US. Due to full solar stove fridge plumbing etc ive done i could be lowball.
Yours already titled as motorhome is a huge bonus and your miles ahead of the competition in selling these. Some states its a major hastle to get it done. I had it titled as MH in Vermont due to typical California gov overreach and carb emissions. Now i can re register here but im leaving as soon as she is done. I would assume your rig starting would be worth about 9k. Maybe more if your not in a hurry. All really depends on your location. I dare you to place it for sale in any state because your phone will blow up with calls, good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86