What's a good auto trans?

12vjane

Reaction score
I have a 96 2500 12valve cummins. Trany works for now but I installed a #8fuel plate. I fell it slips a little and I'm sure it will crap out this coming year.I tow a boat as well.

Anyways,the dodge auto trans suck and I believe I have the weakest one that comes stock. what's a the best auto trany to get to build up or buy prebuilt. Bolt in would be nice. I'd like to pump the eng up to 300-400hp later as well. Does anyone out there have some info for me??

12vjane

Reaction score
Better all around don't matter if it's after market or factoy.

12vjane

Reaction score
What about non factory?will that 5r110 ford bolt in to a '96 dodge?Would a 48re handle 400hp?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The Ford Trans would be a lot of work to adapt to the Cummins. Better to stick with the trans you have. And rebuild it to heavy duty specs. Extra clutches and update the valve body. Add a stronger converter and you are ready to go. PM me if you have any questions I can help you with.

12vjane

Reaction score
I don't think I have the 48re. Believe it's the 47re. How would o check to be sure?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
They are both the same basic trans. The 48RE has a different rear band and a couple more clutches in a few clutch packs. Either way the trans you have is fine when rebuilt with upgraded components.

porscheman87

Reaction score
Goerand transmissions, talk to Dave he will do you right, best transmission, best customer support NE Iowa

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
You do have a 47RE and as far as a transmission goes look nowhere but Goerend. Or atleast a goerend converter and valve body

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online