what to look for....

jimmyboy

Reaction score
Trying to negotiate for an 85 E350 WITH 18K. Has the following - 6.9NA, C6, 4.10 rear, from a dealer. The only thing I know that has been done is the AC has been converted, though it didn't seem to get too cold.
He insists it's worth the $8K listed on EBAY. He's failed twice now - $6200 was tops. I might be able to do some cash and some work on his property. I last posted about this vehicle and got some great replies. heres my question -
What do I look for on this vehicle. When I looked at it, I crawled all around and under and saw no leaks. Had original rustproofing so underbody was pretty much perfect. brake lines had no rust at all. Drove real well with lots of power (I thought). no smoke. Cavitation shouldn't be an issue...I hope. What does 23 years of not much use do to one of these diesels? It would be fair to say that I got the diesel itch. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I would like to try starting it when it was dead cold, if it has trouble it probably is not a big deal, but it would be something to negotiate with. I guess the only other thing is to evaluate the tranny, but the c6 should have less potential problems than the E4OD, so if it is not leaking and the shifts seem ok, that is probably about all you can tell from the seat of the pants. I guess a good shop would hook it up and check pressures etc, but I'm not sure it is worth doing that.
I think if it starts ok cold, and instantly hot, and doesn't smoke (too much) or leak (too much) it should be ok. Of course it should sound right too.
If you can, I might pull the doghouse and look at the top of the engine, you'll be able to see the return lines and stuff, more than you can see from the front end. Not sure exactly what to look for, but it would be a good area to inspect.
Jay

jimmyboy

Reaction score
what to look for

Thanks for that. When I did look at it it started right up cold, I mean instantly. I do want to see how it starts after running hot, I've read that might indicate some issues.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
with only 18k on the clock it would/should be a great truck/van for a long time to come.

The big C is not that big of a deal with the 6.9 this is because the cylinder walls are thicker (not much but just enough) and the C6 is pretty much a given (it's a great tranny). The only down side to a C6 is that it does not have a lock up torque converter so the mileage will suffer (because it's always slipping).

The biggest issues that you are going to run into are going to be rubber parts failing from old age (not use mind you just getting old).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online