What is your boost at highway speeds??

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
17 PSI @ 70 3500 RPM 6.72 gears (49 inch tires.)
21 PSI max loaded
I have to ask...what exactly have you done to the engine to be able to safely handle those sorts of boost numbers? Also, how many miles have you been running the engine in this manner?

Keep in mind that I for one have never heard of anyone being able to sustain numbers like this in an IDI for any real length of time without making the engine so temperamental that it can't really be driven on the street, and I believe the same is true of most of the people here...so, it would be nice to hear how you did it :)

Thanks!!

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Nothing!!!! The engine inside is factory stock never touched! I put the turbo and propane on it at 110,000 mi and I just fliped 300,000 yesterday. I have run it this way without a hitch and I run the crap out of it. I have a freind that runs even more boost and both of ours are daily drivers. Maybe we are just lucky who knows.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Nothing!!!! The engine inside is factory stock never touched! I put the turbo and propane on it at 110,000 mi and I just fliped 300,000 yesterday. I have run it this way without a hitch and I run the crap out of it. I have a freind that runs even more boost and both of ours are daily drivers. Maybe we are just lucky who knows.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

You, sir, have more guts than me...even with ARP studs and nuts holding my heads down at 90 ft-lbs (and, with an "A" engine, a marginally lower compression ratio), I wouldn't be comfortable going above 15 psi on my engine. IIRC, some people have had trouble even with 10 ft-lbs on a 6.9l with stock head bolts, and while I know the 7.3l head bolts are stronger than the 6.9l's, I don't think they're that much stronger.

My guess would be luck...well, more power to you and your buddy (no pun intended) ;Really

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that we have the boost questions answered lets see this truck ;Sweet :Sly :thumbsup: :love: :hail :draw ;Sweet

I have a physical need to view the 49's and rockwells on an IDI.

There is a guy that I know that is selling a set of rockwells and I would love to get rid of this stupid TTB 50 front axle.

So come on and send me some pictures. please please please please please.

My email address is [email protected]

Thank you,
Eric

7.3IDIot

Reaction score
RKOCH, you got props from me. Even with the higher compression our engines have, the only problem I think you would have with higher boost pressures is blowing a head gasket. The bottom ends are stout.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
So far the head gaskets have been fine but you guys are trying to jnyx me I think.LOL I am getting a new dig camera mon so I will see what I can do. I can show you the pics from the web site where I bought the tires and rims right now to give you an idea.

Attachments

• Redtighteningadam.jpg
    Redtighteningadam.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online