What is a "trap oxidizer" on a w124?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I run "non-standard" fuels, the owner's manual says I can damage the trap oxidizer. What am I in for if I run wvo?:confused:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trap oxidizer is located just behind the turbo in the exhaust pipe. I think it sort of acts similar to a catalytic converter, but regardless of how it's supposed to act, it tends to clog up, reduce power, and potentially damage the turbo.

The good news, however, is that Mercedes still warranties the trap oxidizer. If it hasn't already been done, you can go to a dealer and have they replace it with a different emissions-control device that works better. If it's been damaged, M-B will also replace the turbo, free of charge.

:)

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Warden...

It turns out that my 300D doesn't seem to have one. It looks like they put a straight section of flex pipe where the trap oxidizer used to be. In reading the mercedes forum, I found out that the heat from the trap oxidizer was a major reason the original aluminum heads warped. Mine has the later head.
Not sure if it was legal for the previous owner to replace the trap oxidizer with the straight pipe.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It turns out that my 300D doesn't seem to have one. It looks like they put a straight section of flex pipe where the trap oxidizer used to be. In reading the mercedes forum, I found out that the heat from the trap oxidizer was a major reason the original aluminum heads warped. Mine has the later head.
Not sure if it was legal for the previous owner to replace the trap oxidizer with the straight pipe.

Cool!

I think it's technically illegal for the straight pipe to be there instead of the trap oxidizer (tampering with emissions equipment, which IIRC is a federal issue), but since CA doesn't smog diesels, I think you're safe. I'd just run her like that, and be thankful someone already replaced the head ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86