WD-40 as starting fluid

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried using WD-40 as starting fluid the other day when my glow plugs weren't working and it didn't work. I'd heard that this was an effective way to get it started if you're glow plugs are down and isn't as ******* the engine as Ether. Once I got the glow plugs operational the engine revved up when it fired. Then again the other day I tried it with working glow plugs to get it too start after changing an injector O-ring (bleeding the fuel system didn't seem to be working like it always has in the past, although now that I think about it I did skip unplugging the cold idle advance) Same deal, had no effect. I ended up bleeding a couple of times and cranking intermittently while letting the starter rest in between (recycling the glow plugs each time) until it finally started. Once again it revved up as it burnt the WD-40. So is this supposed to work as starting fluid or was I mis informed.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, they "new and improved" it and it don't work anymore.

A couple years ago, WD-40 was as good a starting fluid as could be had; now, I think it could be used to put out fires.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Other brands of penatrating oil still work well. I have used Permatex brand recently. Electrical contact cleaner works well too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online