Way off topic-Pontiac Engine help

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ok,I know this is gonna get moved from the IDI forums but Figured I would ask the guys I know.So,moderators,Please let it stay here a couple days before moving it.

does anyone out there within say 200-300 miles of Birmingham,Alabama have a Pontiac 400 or 455 engine(can still be in a car,we have cherry picker and know how to use it!) they wanna sell.Would love a late 60s,Early 70s engine with X4 heads.My dad blew his Goat up around 6 years ago and I want to get him an engine to put in it.Would like one that runs good but a rebuildable block would work and he pretty much has his heart set on building a 455 for it but would settle for a 400(but why not go for the hoss daddy!).I know nothing about Pontiacs(or gassers for that matter) other than the few things I have found on the net.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
displacement is everything but in the Pontiac world, the 400 is the one that has the most speed parts. dunno why. I definitely don't like the 455 crank or non-SD shortblocks. They seem to break more often than Olds or Buick. When I was heavy into GM's, I had friends into all three makes. Over the years, all were running pretty close timewise between each other. fastest ever 11.6 slowest avg 13.9 Breakage was what made the weekends interesting. I was working in a engine machine shop so the stuff was able to get punched out in a hurry. Breaking a car at the track really sucked tho. all tracks were at least a 2 hour drive away. Wound up getting a f450 carrier and that started me down the Ford diesel path ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online