Water temp gauge reading

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought those quite a few times. If it's that slow I'd look very closely where all the hoses attach, I've had a few that would juuuust barely weep when pressurized. Eventually tracked it down but it was annoying!

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What s weird is when I had it wot for like 15min I pulled over to give it a rest and checked the water level and it hasn't moved. Then my dad took it to work and back no load easy driving and the water level was cut in half. You would think it would have been the opposite

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Daniel,

On your water leak some ideas.

1) If you are loosing 1/2 a radiator of fluid in a 2-5 hours of driving you have some major leak. So likely water pump seal, heater core, head gasket, or unlikely but possible a cavitation hole leaking coolant into a cylinder when the engine is hot and running. (Could be a hose.)
a) You may want to buy or see if your local auto parts store will loan a radiator pressure tester. But only pump up to 13-14 psi (What the cap is rated for.) so you do not create a new problem. I would suggest you do so running as you may have a head gasket leak and you do not want to hydro lock your engine. If leaking externally you should be able to see something leaking under pressure. It could be your truck only leaks when its running, hot, and the cooling system is under pressure.
b) Buy some radiator test strips to see if they flag exhaust gasses/material in your coolant. Sign you likely have a head gasket issue or possible but not likely a cavitation hole in one cylinder.
2) Less common and harder to find leaks you may want to look for.
a) Water pump weep hole. Often these leak on and off till the seal fails. See if your radiator fan has play, sign the bearings are going out and taking the seal with them. But can leak before bearings wear out. (Use a mirror and flashlight the hole will be rusted or you will see coolant marks or dripping.)
c) Oil cooler. When mine leaked I just found coolant coming out of the oil pan (Usually last) when changing oil, it did not mix and milk up.
d) The radiator core. Look for wetness or streaks of dried coolant.
e) Head gaskets. As mentioned above you can buy test kits.
f) A bad freeze plug, engine block heater, thermostat gasket, or other plug/sensor.
g) Leaking radiator overflow container. Coolant expands and goes into the container where it leaks out and cannot be pulled back into the radiator. (But this would not happen with a 2-5 hour drive.)
3) Also you originally mentioned you had concerns it may be too hot or overheating. So think about perhaps just replacing the thermostat, radiator cap, up and lower radiator hoses for good measure and that will take out some of the possible leaks as well. (ALWAYS USE A MOTORCRAFT THERMOSTAT!) Then perhaps test your radiator for flow by filling up and draining via the bottom radiator hose outlet. If it comes out fast and free (Radiator cap off.) you likely have a good radiator. If slow or restricted you may have a compromised radiator.

Keep watching, you will eventually see a leak or notice steam or odd colored smoke out of the exhaust.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with chillman, start with hose connections. I had a slight leak at one hose connection and it took some time to find it.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a 1/2 a radiator full. The overflow container lost like 1 quart of water witch was about 1/2 what was in there sorry should have explained that better. I think the radiator will pull in water from there right if not then there is nothing to worry about.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll third the hoses. A month or so ago I was losing large amounts of coolant, it would be sprayed all over the engine compartment. I was convinced my junkyard radiator had sprung a leak so I called them wanting them to honor the warranty. The guy said to check the hoses and I said there wasn't anything leaking there. He said he wouldn't take it back unless I could pinpoint where the leak was so I snagged a pressure tester from my neighbor thinking 'I'll show them!' The cooling system held pressure for 15 minutes and I thought WTH? So then I was going to remove the fan shroud to look closer at the radiator and bumped the upper hose with my elbow. Suddenly coolant sprayed all over from where it attaches to the radiator!

After looking at that connection it seems like the black paint that's on the rad had come loose there and allowed the hose to slide around a bit and leak. After cleaning up the connection with emery cloth I've not had issues since. I'm running out of recipes for Crow.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've checked the hoses multiple times in various conditions and there is 0 signs of any leakage I checked the radiator and I don't see any streaks or signs of leaks. There is not even a little play in the fan or water pump pulley. I'm going to get those radiator test strips to see if there is any exhaust in the coolant that should tell me something

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
another place a slow leak can hide is the heater core, it could be seeping a little and going out the drain. I would pressure test the system.

also check the hose running to the overflow tank, if that is leaking and not air tight it can cause a problem also.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My RV loses coolant from the bottle, but the radiator itself stays full (since I keep up with watching the bottle). But, I know it has a tiny leak in the radiator fins. It's not enough to justify many hundreds of dollars to fix since it loses so little and it doesn't hurt the cooling.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have discovered the LEAK. I looked over at my truck and what's this, a puddle. Checked every hose and the radiator, no leaks so I'm thinking where could it be. Turns out the coolant reservoir has a small crack at the bottom thank goodness it wasn't anything serious.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have discovered the LEAK. I looked over at my truck and what's this, a puddle. Checked every hose and the radiator, no leaks so I'm thinking where could it be. Turns out the coolant reservoir has a small crack at the bottom thank goodness it wasn't anything serious.

Sometimes it's the simplest things!