Water Injection?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently returned from a 2300 mile round trip towing/hauling about 6k-6.5k pounds over several mountain passes. I was very pleased with how my old IDI handled it, but had one concern and I wanted to get some opinions on a possible solution.

The biggest problem I had was keeping the EGTs at or below 1200 degrees. Especially at the higher the altitudes. The higher we got and the thinner the air, the less throttle it took to make black smoke and raise the EGTs. I pretty much had to watch the pyro ALL the time when climbing and constantly modulate the throttle to keep the EGTs down. Up in the 4000 foot + elevations, anything more than half throttle while pulling would raise the EGTs to 1200 degrees in just a matter of seconds.

The weather was dry & warm the whole trip until I crested the final mountain pass coming home - where I ran into light drizzling rain (typical Western WA weather). I noticed immediately that the EGTs didn't climb nearly so fast and I could apply more throttle without getting up to the 1200 degree mark.

Down here at normal elevations it is much more manageable even when the weatheris warm & dry, and it takes 3/4 or more throttle when pulling that load uphill to raise the EGTs. But it can still be done. Same with the black smoke - a lot harder to produce, but it can be done if I put your foot in it. Unloaded, I can just barely produce visible smoke pulling a hill with my foot on the floor and in that case the EGTs seem to top out right at 1200.

I could turn the IP down a bit, but that will hurt my performance under day-to-day "normal" conditions. I'm thinking instead of maybe doing a simple home-brewed water/alcohol injection system. Of course I'd use an oil pressure switch and a throttle position switch (similar to Ziggster's single-stage propane setup) so that it wouldn't come on at the wrong times and flood the engine with water vapor. Wouldn't want to hydrolock my motor. That way I could use it only when needed to lower the EGTs when towing heavy and still have my same performance benefits of the turned up IP for day to day driving.

What do you guys think?

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the issue is it is needing air. As you climd higher you have thinner air, and the IP can now overload the engine.
I do not know how water injection will affect that. But a Turbo would make a world of differance, as it redueces the effect of the thinner air on the engine.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
dsblack brings up a good point. I do see in your sig that you have two rigs one N/A and the other has a turbo, which one were you talking about?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the NA truck. I know more air (a turbo) would solve the problem, but the money for that just isn't in the cards. With the dual ram-air I've installed, I think I've already done about all that can be done to improve airflow - short of installing a turbo. Dunno if you can see it or not but here's a link to some pictures of what I've done. http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=352605&albumid=25781

Besides, I already have a turbo truck, and once I do a ZF swap into it, the NA truck is going up for sale - hopefully by the end of the summer.

I'm looking for a short-term inexpensive solution. I expect to be in a few more towing situations before I replace the NA truck with the turbo as my towing rig.

Based on what I've seen, the water mist system will definitely help lower the EGTs - without having to reduce the fueling rate (and correspondingly the power). I'm just wondering if others have experience to share in this area, and or other low-buck suggestions (other than turning down the IP)...

rubberfish

Reaction score
Turn the fuel down. :)

I don't think the **** is going to do what
you want it too. Not enough anyways.
I don't use mine for cooling. And I don't
know many that do. We use it to go fast.
If you already have all the ***** and bits,
then put it together and see what happens.
But I have to agree. It sounds like an air issue. ;Really

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Nice Job on the Dual Ram Air! Very;Sweet

As far as the EGT's if it is on the NA truck. Where is the probe located? You may be getting hotter readings, and may be OK at 1200..?

Just a thought,..

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Job on the Dual Ram Air! Very;Sweet
Thanks!

As far as the EGT's if it is on the NA truck. Where is the probe located? You may be getting hotter readings, and may be OK at 1200..?

Just a thought,..
The thermocouple is in the DS downpipe about 1" below the flange where it meets the manifold. Given the location - a few inches from the nearest exhaust port - I'm thinkin' 1200 is pushing the limit....

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn the fuel down. :)

I don't think the **** is going to do what
you want it too. Not enough anyways.
Well, I know that going up the eastern side of Snoqualamie pass, at half throttle in 2nd gear doing 50 mph I was having to moderate the pedal to keep the EGTs down to 1200. After coming off the west side of the mountain, I had to climb Tiger mountain in the misting rain. I was able to use almost 3/4 of the throttle pedal without exceeding the 1200 degrees mark on the EGTs. And that was just from what water vapor the dual ram-air was sucking in from the rain.

I don't use mine for cooling. And I don't
know many that do. We use it to go fast.
If you already have all the ***** and bits,
then put it together and see what happens.
But I have to agree. It sounds like an air issue. ;Really
I'm not looking for cooling per se - just lower EGTs. I want to go faster up the hills without melting my pistons! Same principle - just a little different application.....

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rain most likely also cooled the air, and made it more dense? That would be a guess, but I agree, if you have the stuff, try it. If you have to buy it. then I do not know if it would be worth it, just to sell the truck a little later. Or would you move it to the turbo'd truck?

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
That ram air setup is what I,ve been thinking about putting on my van.;Sweet It has one line run to the grill already but it has a plate a couple inches in front of it to keep rain & dirt out. I'm sure it cuts down on air flow also. How much water do you get up your pipes when it's raining? That concern has stopped me from doing anything yet. I'd hate to suck up too much water!! :mad: :puke:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ram air setup is what I,ve been thinking about putting on my van.;Sweet It has one line run to the grill already but it has a plate a couple inches in front of it to keep rain & dirt out. I'm sure it cuts down on air flow also. How much water do you get up your pipes when it's raining? That concern has stopped me from doing anything yet. I'd hate to suck up too much water!! :mad: :puke:
Well, I was a little conserned about that myself, since I live in the rain capital of the continental USA - Seattle (it rains an average of 200 days per year here).

I used the ribbed accordion-style aluminum ducting and it makes three turns between the scoops and the air cleaner. First, both sides make about a 45 degree turn towards the center of the truck on a horizontal plane right after the ducting gets into the wheelwells. Then it makes another 90 degree turn from horizontal to straight vertical where it goes through the fender liner into the engine compartment. Then the original plastic intake hoses make a gradual 90 degree curve from being vertical back to being horizontal where they attach to the snorkles on the air cleaner.

Between the ribbing and the turns all the actual water droplets end up splattered against the sides of the intake tubing and running back down and out. So far I have not been able to find evidence that a single drop has made it all the way to the air cleaner. And believe me, I checked A LOT right after I installed it. So far, the air filter & air cleaner housing have stayed bone dry. I've even checked it after busting some big puddles and still found no signs of water in the air cleaner.

Of course, I have to insert a disclaimer here to say that that's just my experience and YMMV.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online