Waste Motor Oil Distillation?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found this website called ferromit.com/WMOstill.html that has plans for an oil still to make diesel fuel. I don't know a lot about oil distillation but it seems it would be a good way to super clean any used oil and not have to worry about filters and expensive centrifuges. Has anyone tried to distill oil if so how did it go?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty skeptical as I've been screwing around with oil for quite some time and this seems too good to be true. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see it happening. If they wanted an independent tester though I'd be game.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm not real sure eather. It does make sense that if you turn the oil into a vapour that it would leave all the contaminants behind the question is can it be done without blowing everything up.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're essentially buying the plans to make your own oil refinery.

The idea works good for filtration, because you're heating the oil to a vapor, which would leave the contaminants in oil behind in the leftover sludge, and then condensing the oil back into something that's pure. The process would be similar to water distillation, which also yields a pure product.

The problem is to do that with oil it would take a lot of heat and pressure to do so, so you'll have a pretty high energy consumption. That, and vaporizing/pressurizing flammable liquids isn't the safest thing to do either. Bear in mind, you'll have to heat it over it's autoignition point, so the absence of oxygen in the system is very important, unless you're trying to build a bomb. There's a reason an oil refinery has the control room in an explosion proof/fire proof building......

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heated oil to the point of condensation before and the carbon still didn't fall out of it.

When I think of water distillation, if you let water sit for long enough the dirt will eventually drop out so distillation just speeds up the process whereas if you let black oil sit for years and years.... it'll still be black.

Once that soot and carbon has bound itself to the oil, you can get some of the weaker molecules to fly off in the centrifuge and it'll be slightly less black but even after 100 passes on my centrifuge, it's still noticeably dark.

If the pictures showed a light brown I'd be more open but completely clear just doesn't seem possible.

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
I would wonder about metal from rings, crank, cam, babbit etc going into the injectors. I know a guy that sold his distilling company up near Chitcago. He's a chemical engineer. They did work for Lucas, Chevron and more. AFAIK he still does sales for them.

Getting a hold of him is the trick.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hot did you heat the oil? If it was just to 212, or the boiling point of water, we're not talking about that, but 500+ degrees F. The point where the oil will become a gaseous vapor, which can then be condensed back into a liquid. Do that, and the liquid you condense will be clear like they show. But like I said, the temperature and pressure to do that isn't something I'd fool around with, without several layers of safety measures in place. You're essentially making a bomb heating this stuff up that hot. Don't skimp.

Last edited:

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked it up before. lots of videos online.
Unless fuel goes up to 7bucks a gallon, to me, its just not worth it right now. The time I spent collecting oil and just centrifuging it is not worth my time. Relatively speaking, my time is expensive.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

tiptonwes

Reaction score
It is possible to convert the waste oil to diesel using the right pressure, temperature, and catalyst. It isn't distillation in that case, I mean it still gets distilled but to get diesel from motor oil you have to crack some of the heavier hydrocarbons in a reactor. This is a pressure vessel with the air pumped out, containing the oil, platic, rubber, wood, fat, crap, algae, sugar, you name it, and a catalyst like nickel, or iron. The catalyst is chosen to make more or less of certain hydrocarbons, depending on what you want. Without the catalyst it can still be done at highr pressure and temps. There's cracking where you break heavy oil into lighter oil, and there's the opposite where you form them from methane or carbon monoxide and hydrogen. One reaction breaks water down and forms methane by reacting it with red hot coal. Another one makes methanol from methane. Methanol It gets crazier too, the Chinese have made a cataylst to form alcohol from co2. Eventually we will be able to make more fuel than we use and pump it underground. Then we can control the earth's temperature like it has a thermostat, and we can all still feel good driving a giant fuel guzzling vehicle.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Chinese have made a cataylst to form alcohol from co2. Eventually we will be able to make more fuel than we use and pump it underground. Then we can control the earth's temperature like it has a thermostat, and we can all still feel good driving a giant fuel guzzling vehicle.
I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling with the thought of the Chinese or their technology being responsible for regulating the earth’s temperature. I mean, what could go wrong??

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer not blowing myself upcookoo:rotflmao

Also depending on your area, you "technically" need a distiller's license. It would work in theory, but your placing a lot of faith in something that can easily blow up in your face.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.