Waste gate?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 psd 350 4wd upon start up in the cooler weather is making a shutter type noise when idling! Sounds to me like the waste gate maybe open and closing! I assumed this was maybe a cold start feature to help warm the motor or something, but now seems to be getting more frequent! Seems like it is affecting the low end boost just before or just after a shift (auto tranny)! Also when idling, when it starts to shutter, I can touch the brake pedal or accelerator and make it clear up for a while! What is causing this? I would like to fix it before it escalates! Thanks guys!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are probably referring to the exhaust back pressure valve (ebpv) which cycles in cold weather to help warm the engine. It can get annoying when it chokes down the exhaust to supposedly help warm the engine. I have eliminated that nonsense on both my trucks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While it's best to eliminate it, you can fix it to work better. Not really worth it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will eliminating it affect the towing! I haul cattle quite a bit and like how it slows the load! Don't bother me much, just seems like it robs low end boost more now than it used to! I doesn't sound like it could be good on the turbo, as rapidly as it releases! But I don't know much about it!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't really hurt anything except mileage and performance.
Deleting won't cause any issues at all.
You can use it as a makeshift exhaust brake. That's about the only "good" thing about it.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will eliminating it affect the towing! I haul cattle quite a bit and like how it slows the load! Don't bother me much, just seems like it robs low end boost more now than it used to! I doesn't sound like it could be good on the turbo, as rapidly as it releases! But I don't know much about it!

If you truck is up to operating temperature a correctly functioning EBPV should be wide open. Not sure how it would control braking unless you have modified the truck to do that?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can unplug it for now and see how you like it.
It's a 2 wire plug. On mine it was located under the inlet side on the turbo. But mine is a obs.

js2941

Reaction score
I modified my EBPV to act as an exhaust brake. It's manually operated. It's effect, while moderate, is noticeable. I don't drive many long steep grades, but I've found it very useful on those I have. Been running it that way for about 200k with no problems.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just unplug the ebpv.2 wire connector on the front of the base of the turbo.will not hurt or mess with anything.itll set a code in the pcm for ebpv innoperative.will not set a check engine light.

Just dont let it idle more than 20 minutes or so when its really cold.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riff raff sells a diode that takes care of the EBPV code.
like 20 bucks.
i deleted mine as well, because i didnt want to deal with leaks, and it makers things a hell of alot easier to bolt up the up pipes.