want to buy 85 f250

arborman

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I want to get my hands on a 85 F250 with a 6.9L , that's for sale here at home. It has 450,000 on it, and some new/newer parts.the body is kind of rough,but I'm looking more at the mileage on the motor.he's asking 1600 for it.I was going to shoot lower and go from there.I would be putting some miles on this myself. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks Guys

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I want to get my hands on a 85 F250 with a 6.9L , that's for sale here at home. It has 450,000 on it, and some new/newer parts.the body is kind of rough,but I'm looking more at the mileage on the motor.he's asking 1600 for it.I was going to shoot lower and go from there.I would be putting some miles on this myself. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks Guys

I would pay junk price no more

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here you can find complete engines cheap with less than 200K on them. If it was me depending on the condition of the truck of course I wouldn't be too scared of the miles. Supposedly my 6.9 has 360K on it.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Same here. BUT 450k miles dosent mean anything on a diesel. Just check the blow by and how good it starts cold and hot. If it's an auto I would have The tranny checked out by a shop to make sure it's good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1600 sounds like a lot for any 85 unless it is really special. Most engines are pretty worn out by 450K but it might not be and might not be original either. Adrianspeeder is right about other things that might need help that could get expensive. This is less of a problem if you can do these repairs yourself, but it should still be reflected as a decrease in the sale price. Some things I'd be worried about would be radius arm bushings, kingpins or balljoints, the axles themselves, and the entire drivetrain. I'd also have some concern if the truck was from a place close to the ocean and or where salt is used on the roads. These kind of repairs can get really expensive. Maybe he's already had some of this stuff replaced and is trying to recoup some of the money, if so he'd better be willing to prove it with receipts and subject it to your or a mechanic of your choice's inspection. As fr as the engne if it starts cold, has good oil pressure and not too much blowby, check the head gaskets and for any odd popping sounds through the exhaust or intake, otherwise it's probably good. The info is incomplete, but for that high of a mileage truck, I'd want to prove it was good rather than take someone's word for it or take a risk but buy it cheap.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Amen JD. Friend bought a half million mile superduty PSD for 2000 bucks, but it has cost over 4000 in truck repairs, and a set of new injectors for 1800 or so. So he now has still a half million mile truck with who knows what will die next, and what time I get the call for help.

Adrianspeeder

arborman

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, we're in upstate NY, salt capitol of the US. It definitly needs new fenders-doors ok. he does have alot of new parts on it-glow plugs/rely ,swaybar bushings,wiper motor etc.. I'm going to ask my mech to take a look at it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of JUNK price like 4-500 dollars i mean come on 450,000 miles is a ton unless its been restored

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of JUNK price like 4-500 dollars i mean come on 450,000 miles is a ton unless its been restored

i agree.
cus you pretty much have to plan on replacing EVERYTHING.
anything and everything could go at any minute.
likely would be cheaper to buy something a bit more fresh.
i wouldn't touch it,other than for body parts/pieces and scrap.
at least based on the little info given (which isn't much) and lack of pics.
i could find way more truck for 1600$ all day long here.(but there's no such thing as a $1600 reliable rig imho.much more $ required to make these gems safe,and dependable.)

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I got cussed out last time, but I can't see why someone wouldn't spend the extra $1k shipping to buy from a non salt area.

you guys must not get real rust then....

widwest and east coast version of body rot is totally different then west coast northwest thats for sure...

i know in NY...here in PA...and i know out in OHIO,IN,IL they like to salt the living hell out of all the roads....

ive parted out samurais where ive literally unbolted 3 of the 8 mounts and removed the body's. cab corners....floors...wheel arches...around here dont last worth crap

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you guys must not get real rust then....

widwest and east coast version of body rot is totally different then west coast northwest thats for sure...

i know in NY...here in PA...and i know out in OHIO,IN,IL they like to salt the living hell out of all the roads....

ive parted out samurais where ive literally unbolted 3 of the 8 mounts and removed the body's. cab corners....floors...wheel arches...around here dont last worth crap

My truck one very tiny rust bubble that you couldnt find unless i showed it too you, these trucks aint worth much down here thats why i stopped trying to sell mine, cause i got way more in it than its worth