Verifying the year of my chassis or at least the E4OD

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much to this story, I'm not sure where to begin. But it boils down to this; I've read on a thread or two here that mixing the wrong ECU with and E4OD can burn it up.

About 6 months ago I had a tach issue that was resolved with a new ECU. Since then the truck has alway shifted firmly. 1-2 was especially abrupt. Yesterday the OD light started flashing and the truck is shifting late and hard in all gears, even harder than before. Checked the TPS and changed the speed sensor to no avail.

I'm going to get the codes read but I think the torque converter is fried. So while I'm digging into this I want to confirm the ECU and trans are in sync.

The truck is registered as an 89 F250 even though it is a dually. I don't know if the cab was switched out or if it was converted to a dually.

So how do I go about properly dating the truck chassis and/or the E4OD so I don't trash it again once I get the beast back on the road.

Thanks,
Bob

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help help on the dating, but once the O/D light start flashing. The trans goes into "limp mode", basically ramps up the pressure to make a short drive to safety. DO NOT drive like this for any extended time, it'll eventually kill the trans.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

A little more reading and I guess I didn't change the speed sensor but rather the RABS sensor on the diff. Guess I'll get a speed sensor and try that agian.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Get the codes read first. It will make it much easier to find out what is wrong with the tranny. It will save you some $$$$ too.

89 is the mutt year for the E4OD. It is a one of a kind unit. Majority of those died years ago.:eek:

As for the TCM, any 89-91 will work. Always go for a later year if replacing it.The later TCM has better programming. Well a little better anyways.:rotflmao They all suck.:D

The speed sensor is on the tail shaft of the tranny. With the speedo cable going through it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There is a VIN stamped into the top of the passenger side frame rail. between the front cab mount and the rad support, if you can still read it

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the codes read first. It will make it much easier to find out what is wrong with the tranny. It will save you some $$$$ too.

89 is the mutt year for the E4OD. It is a one of a kind unit. Majority of those died years ago.:eek:

As for the TCM, any 89-91 will work. Always go for a later year if replacing it.The later TCM has better programming. Well a little better anyways.:rotflmao They all suck.:D

The speed sensor is on the tail shaft of the tranny. With the speedo cable going through it.

Thanks Speeder.

I took a chance on a speed sensor rather than having to trailer the truck to town to get the codes read since it is only a $20 part and I was successful. Took it for a quick spin tonight and it is shifting normally and the OD light is back to normal operation.

No on to identifying the truck.

Bob

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a VIN stamped into the top of the passenger side frame rail. between the front cab mount and the rad support, if you can still read it

Cool, even if I can just get the first few letters I'll know a lot more about my truck.

Thanks,
Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.