Vacuum Pump

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
DONT use a hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can imprint the bearing inside the vac pump--and the bearing in that will go out before long--

i can tell you this is true coming from a bearing manufacturing job!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The universal pulley puller can be found at harbor freight or other parts houses. I keep mine under the rear seat with a spare vacuum pump and pulley for the serpentine belt setup. Really easy job with the right tools....:sly

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much drag the pump puts on the motor? Since I put in hydroboost, I wondered what it would take to install an electric vac pump from a Powerstroke. It might even be cheaper than a new mechanical pump.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much drag. Next time you have the belt off turn the pulley by hand to see.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I wonder how much drag the pump puts on the motor? Since I put in hydroboost, I wondered what it would take to install an electric vac pump from a Powerstroke. It might even be cheaper than a new mechanical pump.

not enough to notice, i cant speak for all but i don't think the electric pumps are cheaper or more reliable. unless you are going hydroboost i would not recommend getting rid of the mechanical pump.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
not enough to notice, i cant speak for all but i don't think the electric pumps are cheaper or more reliable. unless you are going hydroboost i would not recommend getting rid of the mechanical pump.

Jred..... From what I have read is the Electric Pump will not keep up with a vacuum brake booster.... you still have to run the belt driven one. I know the other guy said he had gone to hydroboost.... so he could get buy with it. If he does not have A/C I dont think he needs the pump at all, unless he has auto hubs. I believe Mel has complely removed the pump from the Moose Truck.

The SuperDuty have factory hydroboost and an elecric pump, the 6.0 pump is on the passenger fender between the batteries and the A/C housing. The SD only use vacuum for the HVAC Blend doors and the ESOF Auto/Manual Lockouts. As far as reliability the only time I have heard of a SD ele. vac pump going out is on a truck that has bad lines running to the hubs that leak, causing the pump to run all the time..... The ele. pump is on a box that acts as a storage tank and it will cycle as needed... it is not rated as constant duty.....

I have wondered if a SD hydroboost would work in the older trucks?....

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jred..... From what I have read is the Electric Pump will not keep up with a vacuum brake booster.... you still have to run the belt driven one. I know the other guy said he had gone to hydroboost.... so he could get buy with it. If he does not have A/C I dont think he needs the pump at all, unless he has auto hubs. I believe Mel has complely removed the pump from the Moose Truck.

The SuperDuty have factory hydroboost and an elecric pump, the 6.0 pump is on the passenger fender between the batteries and the A/C housing. The SD only use vacuum for the HVAC Blend doors and the ESOF Auto/Manual Lockouts. As far as reliability the only time I have heard of a SD ele. vac pump going out is on a truck that has bad lines running to the hubs that leak, causing the pump to run all the time..... The ele. pump is on a box that acts as a storage tank and it will cycle as needed... it is not rated as constant duty.....

I have wondered if a SD hydroboost would work in the older trucks?....

The vents in my IDI are vac controlled, and cruise operates on vac - Neither worked when the coffee can reservoir was rusted out, replaced it and both work now. Also, the VRV for C6 trannys use vacuum to control shift points.

That being said, the SD hydroboost does work in our trucks - my HB is from an 02 SD. It isn't a bolt in project, but with all the parts from the SD you can get it installed in a day easily. Just need to fab a bracket to offset the booster 1.5" from the firewall, then put a simple double flare on the line that attaches to the gearbox.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online