vacum pump issues???

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been having a chirping belt issue on my 92 Ford. Yesterday I put some belt dressing on it, the chirp went away, then bam , belt snapped and wrapped around the crankshaft pully. I then put a new belt on. The same chirping was there. I checked the powersteering pump, turns easy, same with the alternator and ac pump. The vac pump was a little tight on the compression stroke, since the back side of the belt runs it, do you all think the belt dressing gave it enough grip to snap? The belt was a 2 year old napa one.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I don't think you are having vac pump issues. The vac pump should turn with some moderate force. I assume you have a serpentine setup? Have you checked the tensioner pulley so see if it's on it's way out?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Maybe check all the pulleys again to see if there is any wobble in any of them. They might spin freely, but if they're not straight or if they wobble at all, that might cause the issue.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I'm stumped at this point too...The only other thing I can think is perhaps one pulley is just slightly out of alignment so that every time the markings on the belt goes by, it squeaks. Good luck, brother. :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say the tensioner is good, how about the IDLER?

IS it a smooth IDLER or a GROOVED Idler?

it can cause issues like tossing a belt as you describe if its got a taper or worn.

A very very careful inspection is in order.

Is your Tensioner within the specs on the unit itself or is it going out of the marks?

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online