Vaccume collection systems???

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lookin at the vacume collection plans on the innernet and asked a guy how long it took him, he said roughly 40 gallons in 20 min. He ran the pump (fridge pump) off a generator. He has no VAC guage. MY idea is, what about 2 pumps? I wanted to hear from someone if its nessicery. i understand you need 30 in of vac, can 1 pump hold it? or does it fluxuate a lot? Also what size nozzle are you useing? i was thinkin 1" hose so it'll fit through the grate on the dumpsters :backoff :Sly

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use an old propane tank as a vacuum tank, you can pump out all the air with a vacuum pump before you leave home. Then all you have to do is drive up to the tank, insert hose and open the valve on the tank. It should suck a lot pronto.

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon air compressor tank I was going to use, I bet that would hold the vacume. I was just trying to decide if not holding optimum vacume the entire pumping was going to slow the collection down enough to warrent trying to step it up.

sagebel

Reaction score
I use a cheap barrel pump. It takes about 10 minutes of cranking to empty the 55 gallon collection drum. I didn't see any reason to spend a lot of money into something I was doing to save money.

Scott

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vac pumps are freebies ;)

I have a hand pump also, tried it last night for filling the reactor. it aint gunna work. I was thinking about this though.... how about useing compressed air (have a compressor) to push it? how many psi will the drum stand up too? How many psi would it take to lift it? I do have another tank that would be good for it also. its an idea...

sagebel

Reaction score
55 Gallon drums will hold about 5 psi before the bottom pops and becomes dome shaped. You will know have a drum with a round bottom.

Scott

sassyrel

Reaction score
cant use a 55 gal drum for suction either--will suck the sides right in on a cool day--only can use something with heavy sides--like propane tanks---

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've dumped the idea of useing drums for settleing, I have a (Freebie) 500 gallon transfer tank layin around. Im thinkin I'll use that for the settleing and storage. it has a drain plug perfect for draining the water. I think that tank would hold some compressed air for pushing oil into the reactor. and all im out is some hose and harbor freight valves. And Im not tieing up my drums with settleing.

Im back to the suction project... Ive decided to use that compressor tank, I think it'll stand up to it. It was for a MONSTER 2 stage 40 cfm @ 100 psi compressor so I think its walls are thick enough. I was going to use fridge pumps cause thier free. Now my question... How big of a collection hose should I use? I have a 1" port and a 2" port on the tank to choose from. Im leaning to the 2" but have no idea what kind of hose is going to stand up to the vacume. Any ideas?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bigger the hose, the faster it will flow. You might try a hydraulic supply house and ask them what they have. Some hoses can get pretty heavy.
You only need to raise a head of a few feet, so I don't think you will need a super thick one.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i read at the other site :puke: someone was using the suction side of an air compressor to make vacuum, and a hot water heater to put the oil in.
i think this is what i'll do, i have a 80 gal heater and even picked up a vacuum pump with some other stuff for around $30 i have yet to set it up. right now they give it to me in the plastic jugs and i store it in my 1000 gal tank until i need to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online