u joints and inspection plate

1992-6.9

Reaction score
I was wondering for the luk conversion if the inspection plate would bolt up anymore. Shop is having issues with it fitting...cookoo :mad: Also, what is characteristic of a bad u joint?? I grabbed the driveshaft on either side and there was no slop, however in gear the driveshaft moves to either side about 1/6 a rotation or so...thanks!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about your inspection plate fitment, but the driveshaft rotation in gear sounds about normal. That's just the normal backlash in the gears in the rear end and the transmission/transfer case.

You need some hubs? I've got my OEM auto locking hubs from my 92 F250 stashed somewhere around here...

Ryan

1992-6.9

Reaction score
;Really ? Do the autos function very well?? I hear mixed reviews on them...how much would you want for them?? That would be great...w/o the 4x4 stickers, it not only looks like a 2x4 but drives like one too...:rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why the inspection plate wouldn't fit. I re-used the inspection plate from my T-19 when I put the ZF in, and had no issues whatsoever with it fitting in place (and I did do a LuK SMFW).

Regarding the driveshaft play, 1/6 of a rotation sounds like quite a bit to me...mine may turn 1/16 of a rotation, but I never checked closely...but it's very little...

Joe Mc

Reaction score
When my u-joints were bad the drive-shaft felt good and tight until I took one end of the drive-shaft loose, then all the u-joints had a lot of slop in them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Could you use a bunch of washers to space it out, so it doesn't actually sit on the bell housing?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have a "non fitting" inspection plate they don't need anymore? My wrecker is missing it's plate, and I hate running with the clutch exposed to the elements.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed mine tonight after doing the single-mass flywheel and clutch, and it fits just fine. I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit anymore, the outer diameter of the flywheel cannot change, otherwise the starter wouldn't engage anymore.