Twin “stock” turbos on an OBS good or bad idea?

Reaction score
I have two stock turbos from two different OBS 7.3 Powerstroke. One is on the truck now and the other is on a donor truck. Even though I rebuilt the one on the truck a few years ago it is still almost stock. I have been wanting to run twins on this truck since I bought it. However, that is a very costly in devour. Being since I have two turbos and I am not trying to build a sled puller how would they do? I do want two separate banks, meaning two turbos, two exhaust systems, and if I can swing it two intercoolers. I really do not want to get into the details on making the intercoolers work right now. ( I do have an idea that though) I want this truck to pull loads down the interstate and still keep the manners of a truck that gets driven regularly. So how would the two stockers I have work for such a build?

Oh, I do get that there is a lot more to just a build then slapping on a second turbo. I am just trying to find out is two stockers would be a reasonable choice.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying it cant be done but the way those turbos mount and oil, it would take a lot of fabrication to accomplish this and dual stock turbos wouldn't perform too well I don't think. A couple of holsets would probably be cheaper and definately easier in the long run.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing I was thinking is that since you'd be running them offa each bank independently, each turbos gonna be getting half the exhaust pressure... Need more fuel to compensate :sly

Both turbos have to meet up again eventually, would be less plumbing with one big IC with the turbos meeting up before it versus two independent ones :dunno.

Reaction score
That is about what I was thinking as well. But I figured being since I have these why not look into it. I do already have some mods and some more planned. So the engine is not stock by any means.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
I agree the fabrication would be a little difficult using two Garrett turbos for the makeup. Good point on fuel. I guess my question is what is holding you to two separate exhausts? I have been involved with running turbo's in series in these trucks. The last one involved using a Holset as the lead turbo that fed the stock Garrett. The drive-ability of the truck stayed the same but putting that kind of boost in these trucks makes them towing fiends.

Reaction score
I am just of the mind set that everyting should be balanced. Plus, I do not have a lot of experaince with Turbos. Most of the twin turbo set ups I have seen have one turbo on each side of the engine.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
I understand the idea of wanting some sort of balance, but I would just suggest the idea of using a dual stage turbo setup for your truck. Its a lot less work and provides near to no turbo lag. Just a suggestion is all.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Well soon I'm going to be doing another one, but it will be on a IDI but I will try and document it as best I can with photos. I am terrible with taking photos but I will do my best!

Reaction score
Now that is something I really want to get into. I want an oldr IDI 7.3 and I wanted to see how a set of twins would do on it. I know they have good power potential and they are easeir to deal with than a Stroke.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Yes and no. The spacing for dual mass turbos is crunched up in comparison to the Stroke. But the oil routing can be easier if the turbo setup involves an old 12 valve Holset. But I've had better luck doing it on Powerstrokes especially the OBS's. The fuel is always the issue with the IDI's though. But Mel's pumps make a big difference.

Reaction score
I really want to discuss your work on IDI's further. But until I have one I iwll not know what you are talking about. I have have never worked on one before. When do you plan to begin your biuld? I would like ot keep up with it.

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Hopefully before my buddy leaves for Alaska this summer I'd like to get it done. Can't do it without his help. But we'll see hopefully by the end of May. If not it won't be until November.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online