turbo upgrade

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my pump guy built a 4911 with the mechanical side from a DS4. he had a huge turbo on a modded 6.5 .the sky would turn black until the turbo spooled up. riding in the truck was like hyperdrive kicking in;Sweet he never had it at a local track, there was just too many rigged items to be cleaned up before passing tech. he just wanted to see if he could do it. last I knew of his whereabouts is in Idaho. Hopefully he set up shop there.
I've always avoided the computer 6.5's as far as modding, so I can't help you on ideas.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted by the simplicity, but not tempted enuff to spend the time and $$$ to make the swap. I gotta tell ya, I've been real happy with the performance of my truck. The mods have been very straight forward, reasonably priced and I was able to do them here at the house. I've got a 6400# vehicle with the aerodynamics of a garden shed that is serious fun to drive and gets 18mpg. Let's hear it for computers!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen 20. Gentle driving and keeping it around 62 - 65 nets me 18. FUN driving and getting in a hurry puts me around 15.5 - 16. I guess mileage sorta depends on my mood. :D

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
same here 17-18 now, pulling my race trailer it's more like 11....but, its a 30' enclosed brick of a trailer and its a heavy one.......time to start a new thread.....

mahatma171

Reaction score
thats another topic I'm looking for advise on, If I want the most power I can get outta my 6.5 with all my other mods, whats the best I.P.? I was gonna keep runnin my original, but wondered if I should go with the mechanical? can I get all the fuel I want with mine and juice it up with the #9 and the marine injectors with a modded puter, or! Instead go with a mechanical one and turn it all the way up? thinking of the cost comparison also, but it really don't matter cause I plan on keeping my truck forever!

I think you can get as much power as you need with the DS4. However, there is something to be said for the dead-on reliability of the mechanical pumps. I know this is why Towcat is running his this way. If you do decide for mechanical, head for a 4911 pump, that was used on the early 6.5 engines.

I'm gonna have fun with the DS4 for a while. Wish me luck. ;burnout

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
We are running 5088 mechanical pumps, the same series as the 4911, these pumps have 2 plungers, 8 cylinder outlets, with plunger diameters of .310''. Same dimensioning as the 4911.......actually the pump is 2831 series. The difference between OEM pumps of the same series is the initial adjustment of the fuel delivery. This is a 15 minute job on the bench, 30 minutes in the truck, simple to do, very straight forward. We run just over the 4911 settings, with theoretical fuel delivery for about 220 hp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online