Turbo not spooling?

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology but my turbo doesn't seem to be working at all. I've got a boost gauge and the needle stays at zero boost all through the driving range. At first I thought the gauge was bad but a buddy borrowed my truck and trailer last week and he mentioned that he didn't notice hearing the turbo spool up. It's a Banks Sidewinder on a 1986 6.9 with 185,000 miles. I've had the turbo for about 12 years but in those twelve years I've only put about 20,000 miles on the truck. Could the bearing in the turbo wheel have possibly seized up? I'd like to get a 60mm wheel from type4 and this might be the time to do it. Anyway, any advice or observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried that yet but I will, thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming that if I can't then it's likely that the bearing would be bad, correct?

mjpike

Reaction score
I just got the t60 upgrade from Russ plus some other upgrades. Quite a difference, earlier spooling and better boost throughout the power band. One satisfied customer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So this turbo is not a wastegated turbo I'm guessing. Look at the exhaust from the engine to the turbo. any soot at any joints is an exhaust leak and that kills the boost. Look at the intake side of the turbo. Any oily joints is a boost leak and that too kills the turbo. Looking at the turbo inlet blades when the engine is running will tell you plenty but.. Do not stick anything in there to "feel" the spinning blades. At about 3400 rpm engine speed that turbo shaft is spinning up around 120,000 rpm.. Thats 2000 rpm per second. It will suck a hand in ealiy and nothing comes back... Be careful... Just removing the intake side of the turbo will not hurt you. your just looking...

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, icanfixall, and you are correct about it being a non wastegated turbo. I will check out the exhaust, etc. tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online