Turbo Install on a worn out engine? In need of advice.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i've got an 86 6.9 idi. I would love to throw a turbo on it. looking at the banks sidewinder kit to be specific. My question is, My motor has 285k on it, and seems to me like it has quite a bit of blowby. Would i be seriously shortening the life of my engine by adding the banks kit? It runs flawlessly and seems like it makes good power for a n/a idi. the blowby is all that i am worried about.:confused:

Thanks in advance for the help!

Do your compression test, then do a round of AutoRx, then check your compression again and see if there's a big difference in compression numbers. If it was me, I'd pull the heads, send the heads out and do guides/springs/seats as needed. While the heads are off, have a look at the cylinders and measure the bores. If they aren't too worn, put it back together and add some boost. The bottom end of these IDIs are pretty stout, but I have to agree that at that mileage your prime suspect for catastropic failure would be more cylinder head related than anything else, so remove, inspect and fix the heads.

Good luck to you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online