turbo info needed

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering about putting a turbo on the 6.9.which brands are the best to look for?what should i look for in my engine so it would be a safe swap..i seen some on ebay and was wondering what to look for,problems,brands,?whats the deal with some not having a waist gate? whats needed for fuel enrichment,just turn up the pump? i dont want to try and make a killer set-up,just add a little power for towing.thanks for any help and you guys are really helping me w/ this ol truck. im finally sorting out the little probs -cuss and moving on to improvements. ps does anyone have a nice set-up for sale?thanks,i live in mich.49036

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the non-wastegated turbos because they're slow to spool up and don't have a real high max, but if your not looking for much you would probably be fine.
You should look for a complete kit, you may have trouble finding pieces. Buying used your also looking at about $500 to rebuild it. There were also some differences between auto and manual turbos on the old ones. The van set up won't bolt onto a truck and vice versa.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got lucky twice on turbos. I bought a complete older style Banks for my 84 6.9 including exhaust to the muffler for $300.00 from somebody on TDS. Everything worked perfectly with no rebuild required. Then I bought a complete 88 7.3 F250 4X4 with a Banks sidewinder for $1425.00 off of EBAY. That one needed lots of front end work, but the engine and turbo both work great.

Now if I could find such a deal on an overdrive the the 88 life would be great.

Just keep looking and you will find a reasonable deal on a turbo. Watch EBAY, and Craigslist and you will find something.

akoldnav

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I have a Hypermax non-pulse system on mine and it is great. I can get 12 psi boost. Don't discount non waste gated systems. The main advantage to the waste gate systems is they will let you make a quicker take off from a stop light. For just plain pulling I believe the non waste gate systems will actually produce more power. Think about it - when the waste gate dumps the exhaust gas it cannot use that is exhaust that on a non waste gate system will be use to make horsepower. Waste gated turbo's are smaller than non waste gated turbo's for the same size engine. One spools up quick but wastes energy on a hard pull. The other spools up slower but takes advantage of all the exhaust gas available.
Get ahold of "Huff" on TDS, he can get you a system for a good price. I am a happy customer.

Jim

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Jim, there are holes all over in your theory. I don't have time to go over the whole concept of a wastegated turbo, but trust me, they are better all the way around.

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys,i pulled a fair load the other day,about 9500#,and getting up to speed took awhile,but held a easy 55 mph.i need more power or a different truck.i just dont know what to expect from this 6.9,as far as power.would anyone near me be interested in timing this ol truck? im at 49036 or coldwater mich.,thanks

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As for timing your truck - I'm sure that if you make it to the 06 IDI Weekend in Chatty, Tenn that you might be able to twist Mel's arm and he would set it for ya at the campground.

As for waste gated vs non waste gated... I got a chance to drive a non waste gated truck (a fellow member here on the boards) and yes the lag was there but it was not much - then once the turbo spooled up I couldn't tell a difference between them (both were banks branded systems - both on 7.3's - difference was Mine was The Enterprise and his was Big Red). After sitting behind the wheel of a wastegated system for many many miles and then getting to sit behind the wheel of a NON wastegated system (yes I drove his truck like I always did mine) I would not hesitate to jump on a non wastegated system - There just wasn't a set of the pants difference between them. Either one will move you down the road faster and up the hill quicker.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Just to give some frame of reference to possible power gains Hypermax says adding the turbo and turning the pump screw approximately 2 1/2 flats will increase the horsepower by about 70. The propane injection system that can be bought or built using Ziggster's design will add 30 - 35 hp. YMMV. I have both and without dyno testing I can believe those numbers.

Jim

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
In order to get the most out the 6.9 w/Turbo. Make SURE your fuel system is operating at top effciency. If you've got 90K miles on the pump/inj, you'll never see the full potential.

bgfire

Reaction score
Both systems will be a vast improvement for your engine.

I picked up a used Hypermax system off of Ebay las summer. Huff from TDS helped me out with some great information. He sells Hypermax and Banks, I believe, so he can give you no BS information. He helped me with some parts, as did Hypermax.

My 7.3 is a '93. The turbo gave a very nice increase in power. There is a slight lag on the spool up initially, but it is only a second or so. I have no problem off a stop keeping up with a neighbor who has a '91 7.3 with a Banks waste-gated system on his truck; both trucks have a 5 speed manual and 3.55's.

On flat ground on the highway, I usually see 1 psi boost (which happens to be the bottom of the gauge). With the cruise set, I watch the boost gauge rise and fall as needed to maintain speed. In the hills, that turbo is really nice.

Many people get very territorial when it comes to talking about which brand and what style turbo system. Go with whatever system you want; all of the big three will wake your ride up big time.

I wish I had put a turbo on sooner.

Bill