Truck pulling on BLACKTOP!!

Bobcat698

PureDieselPower.com
Reaction score
Saturday was the truck pull in Arpin Wisconsin.

It was held on blacktop and we were pulling 45,000 pounds. Basically they shut off a section of road that led to the park.

The sled was not self propelled, they pulled it back with a tractor each time. It had wood blocks in the front that it rode on. The axles made the weight box travel.

There were a good 75 or more trucks that showed up... Anything from Hobby 2x4s, 4x4s, old farm trucks and more. They pulled the diesel pickups last.

There were around 6 Dodges, 2 Duramax's, and 2 Powerstrokes. An 8.1L 2500 GMC also showed up and pulled in our class.
I weighed in at 7900 with some sand in the back.

One of the Duramax's has over 500HP at the wheels. He made it about half way down the 250 foot track and just started smoking the tires. There was black smoke on one side of the truck and white tire smoke on the other side

I made a full pull, I thought something had snapped when the weight box HIT the front of the sled!
The only other person that did was running a 95 regular cab Powerstroke.
He had his hitch set up in a unique way.. He had a coupler connected to his gooseneck ball in the bed, then had a hole cut in the bed and the bar ran down back towards where the normal hitch height is. Basically made a lot more weight be put on the front of the truck as well. He took first place in 3 classes (he was allowed to run in lighter weight classes. (this type of hitching isn't allowed at most places)

We ended up pulling off.. I pulled 103 feet and the Powerstroke pulled 117 feet. I took second and a $75 check

It was a blast!
Check out my video below.. I will post more soon!
FULL PULL!

Last edited:

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice vid! Looks like fun. Looks like that pull would be fun!

Nice looking truck as well. What are you running for a turbo and trans on there, and what are you running for power?

Bobcat698

PureDieselPower.com
Reaction score
Thanks TMaas!

Running a rebuilt stock 47RE with transgo and Mojave Green triple disk converter, 1500RPM stall.
Thinking about 375HP at the crank.. maybe more. Got a lot of HP going out the stacks :Sly

Stock turbo.. I had an HX40 for a bit.. then I added the delivery valves and toasted it the next day :eek:

Last edited:

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like that trans holds pretty good.

Stock injectors? Yes, a lot of power going out the stacks. :D

Wow, stock turbo! These HX-35's can handle pretty good I must say. What are you seeing for egt's down the track? LOL

Bobcat698

PureDieselPower.com
Reaction score
TMaas said:
Seems like that trans holds pretty good.

Stock injectors? Yes, a lot of power going out the stacks. :D

Wow, stock turbo! These HX-35's can handle pretty good I must say. What are you seeing for egt's down the track? LOL

No slippage yet..

Stock injectors are still in there.

Pushing around 43PSI of boost.
I see about 1800º going down the track.

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! :thumbsup:

How long have you ran with the stock turbo, and how many pulls and high-egt situations? Just curious to see the longevity of the turbo. Kind of neat. :)

What are your cruising EGT's? I bet that #100 plate helps. I'm running a #6 full forward, and when I just had the #6, I saw 1200* temps. But then I calibrated the pump and put in 370's, now I can't tell where they max as it pegs my Isspro gauge @ 1600. And since then I slid the plate full forward. I wonder what the addition of a #100 plate and DV's would show me?

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice avatar! :Sly :D :thumbsup:

Oh, not a lot. Retired from my pump building job down south. Missed the old country up north. Been doing a little job hunting. Got my old milking job back tonight, just a mile away. Thinking about being a freelance'r. Thinking about going back to school. "That's where all the girls are right?" ;Really LOL
Catching up on some work back around home. Working on another old tractor. Got one ready for cleaning and paint prep, pretty much. Been doing some work on the grain trucks. Got the carbs back on my cycle today and got it fired up. Just taking it easy! :)

Bobcat698

PureDieselPower.com
Reaction score
I have 9 hooks so far with the stock turbo. 7 of them were running probably 1800º or more with the delivery valves. I beat the truck and hit 1800º daily, along with 40PSI of boost.
I have run the stock turbo since the 2nd week of July with the extra fuel.

Bobcat698

PureDieselPower.com
Reaction score
Those were video'd with a buddy's cheap wal-mart digital camera.. Not sure what brand. I'll have a cool video up tonight of my truck towing his F250.

Skipper

Reaction score
Well I got one more year left. I work at IH for a short while. Been looking for some pt work up in stcloud.
How about getting into heavy truck repair class up in st cloud? Theres a good strong demand for truck mechanics. Plus plenty of shops in st cloud will hire students. Oh god and the girls there. :angel: Are shop class faces the parking lot. Dem gals walk by so much distraction. :Sly
What were ya doing down south? Too hot for me down there. I'm hoping to go north after school is completed.
Sorry guy for being off subject here.

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked at International down here. Wasn't really into the work, or the people that worked there. I could get a job working at at least a couple different truck shops down here within 45 miles, but that's not what I want to do. I was working on injection pumps at Specer Diesel in IA. Was fun, enjoyed the work and the people, got sick of the drives there and home on the weekends. Tried staying there on a weekend, was the longest weekend that I ever remember. The renter where I lived, who also worked there, got abusive at me one night too, so got sick of it. Came home that weekend with the intentions of quitting, came back that weekend and started packing up that night, packed my truck early in the morning, got to work, packed my stuff up there, and left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online