Truck not starting

70Post455

Reaction score
I just bought my first diesel a 1987 F250 4x4 two weeks ago. The truck started and ran great up until today. I have not driven it much because there were several small things I wanted to fix on the truck like the lights not working properly and the front fuel tank needing a new sending unit etc….I also just replaced the heater core and heater/AC blower motor.
I have only put on about 60 miles on the truck and was just getting ready to start driving it tomorrow since I have most all the other problems fixed.

I went into the garage to start the truck up today and it would crank and crank but not start. I walked away from the truck for about 30 minutes and came back to try again, this time on the 3rd try the truck started but ran very rough.
I had to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running or it would die.
I left again and came back a several hrs later and again the truck would not start, again on about the 3rd or 4th try it started and ran fine so I drove it over to the gas station to put in about 5 gallons of diesel since the tank was almost empty. I parked the truck and decided to wait until tonight to try again. This time it started on the 2nd try but ran rough again, and again I had to keep my foot on the pedal to keep the engine running, I then let up on the foot feed to see if it would idle but it actually reved up to about 2600 rpm for a quick second on its own and then just shut down and now will not start or run.

The older gentleman I bought the truck from told me in the last 5 yrs he had the motor all rebuilt, and the banks turbo all rebuilt, plus the front end all redone etc….. He said he probably had $7-$8K in the rebuild of the motor and turbo and front end etc…. I do remember he also saying that when the motor was gone thru he installed new glow plugs and I was sure he said a new pump. He said he has not driven the truck 5000 miles since the rebuild in the last few years because he bought a new 2005 PSD two years ago. I am baffled as to what might be going wrong and would appreciate any feedback.
I am enjoying the truck and do not mind the challenge of fixing most all the other things that needed fixed, but I am stumped when a motor revs up on its own and then dies.
Thanks,
Tom

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are getting air into the fuel system.

You said the truck was low on fuel. I would recommend filling the tank up all the way to eliminate the possibility that it's just sucking air in the tank. My truck does this if I let it get anywhere near low.

Once you have the tank full then we can look at other areas of air intrusion.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mention the engine idle spiking before it dies...mine is doing that right now....I have found several leaks around the fuel return caps on several injectors....

70Post455

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was also thinking it was because the tank was almost at E if not already bouncing off of Empty and I am probably sucking air instead of fuel. I did fill the tank up to about half full or just a little under half full when it was running this afternoon, however I did not fill it all the way. I will have to buy diesel in some 5 gallon containers to fill the tank up to the top since I cannot seem to get the truck to start and keep running long enough to get it over to the gas station.

I am a little hesitant to blame the glow plugs just yet since they are suppose to be brand new and were working fine until I let the gas tank get real low.

Also yes the engine did idle spike one time and then quit running.

I will fill the tank to the top tomorrow with the 5 gallon containers and try to get it started and keep it running for 10-15 minutes and see if that gets all the air out and then see if in a few hrs it will restart without problem.

TIA

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
The high rev was probably the idle governer trying to keep the truck going by trying to inject more fuel. Sounds like you have a big air leak in the system somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online