Truck keeps dying

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It used to do this once in a while but now it keeps getting worst and most every day.

Coming to a stop mash in on the clutch and let off the go pedel and the engine dies.

Going down the road at 60 MPH, mash in the clutch let off the gas and it dies, no fluttering no nothing, just dead. It dies very smooth, let out on the clutch a little and boom she fires right back up and idles fine.

Electric pump and I just changed the filter a month ago.

Used to it would only do this early in the morning after I drove five miles to work, in the afternoon it ran fine but now it does it morning and afternoons.

Idles at 700 rpm, no other problems other than dying. :dunno

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
Injection pump time! :eek: I had the same problem. I fixed it with a new pump. You should talk to mel.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, I was afraid yall might say that, it is still under waranty I think, just put it on this summer, NAPA pump.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
just remember that its only starting back up because your pop starting it when you disengage the clutch. so it's just a dying problem at low rpm.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes just low rpm, mash in the clutch and it will bounce at 5-600 rpm for around two seconds then just die.

sometimes when it don't die it kinda stumbles a little at 500 rmps but perks back uo to 800 and don't die.

seems everytime I disenguage the clutch it never drops back to 800 it always seems to drop below 600 and then back up but, now it does this dying sometimes.

other than this she runs great.

suv7734

Reaction score
Have you checked pressure and volume at the schrader valve on the filter head?

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I got down to a 1/4 tank (front tank) which is the one I have been running on and the engine dying (don't use much fuel, only drive 4 miles to work) so I switched to the rear with fresh fuel in it and the dying problem stopped, what the??????

Yesterday I switched back to the front tank just to see and she started dying again, (me thinks front tank has issues :puke: ) so I had about a half a bottle of Power Service so I poured the half bottle on top of the 1/4 tank of fuel and now it runs fine :dunno ***?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I had the same problem for about 10-15 minutes after changing a fuel filter and filling the new filter with lucas fuel conditioner. Sounds like you had some bad fuel or it might have been too viscous. If it was cold outside then the 1/4 tank would have chilled quicker?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the dying is a common problem on the IDIS now that ultra low sulfer diesel is out there the pump is acyually sticking from lack of lubrication.
adding a good fuel additive will usually solve the problem , as long as the pump is not trashed.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kinda makes since, I ALWAYS add MMO 6-10 oz when I fill up or even with my bio diesel I make. I haven't made bio in about three months so I have been buying store bought diesel $30 at a time and have been out of MMO since November, (don't drive very far anyway).

The last diesel I put in was the low crap, I haven't been running my rear tank because this is the only one I burn my bio in and it had 100% bio and since it was very cold lately I have been running off the front one. I added 6 gallons of petro diesel to about 6 bio that was in the rear, when I ran this in my system it ran better and quit dying.

I'm gonna start adding 14-16 oz of MMO and Power Service to store bought crap form now on.

It's bad (or good) when the fuel I make at home runs better than what I buy at the store. Kinda shows the junky fuel their sellin us.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
I had the same problem for about 10-15 minutes after changing a fuel filter and filling the new filter with lucas fuel conditioner. Sounds like you had some bad fuel or it might have been too viscous. If it was cold outside then the 1/4 tank would have chilled quicker?

your truck is dying because it is tired of you driving it:dunno

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, But, But, I love her :angel:

The only time she works hard is when, she becomes a he, pulls out the big stick and pulls my 14,000 pound Jayco fiver.

I got something cool for you guys I will try to show pics this weekend, I took a nice tailgate I had and took a plamsa cutter to it, I moved the latch handle to the bottom and cut a V in the top for the fiver hitch to go through. The metal around the latch is formed the same at the top as at the bottom, cut it out and welded it in at the bottom. A little welding and little bondo and this is gonna be cool. Anyway ya'll will have to see it, I am rigging pullys and a cable for a latch release now. :thumbsup: