Transmission shifting odd

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the right sensor for my automatic with over drive? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...d_18971012-p?searchTerm=neutral+safety+switch

I am not with the truck right now. ^^this part they reference that it's for the tranny with 20 bolts. I have a 1994 factory turbo truck, with the automatic transmission with over drive.

Also, one other thing I have noticed recently with the truck is that when I turn the keep over the truck does not always try to crank....I assumed the ignition switch was failing....but now that I am thinking about it, it could be caused from the a faulty neutral safety/range sensor.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Is this the right sensor for my automatic with over drive? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...d_18971012-p?searchTerm=neutral+safety+switch

I am not with the truck right now. ^^this part they reference that it's for the tranny with 20 bolts. I have a 1994 factory turbo truck, with the automatic transmission with over drive.

Also, one other thing I have noticed recently with the truck is that when I turn the keep over the truck does not always try to crank....I assumed the ignition switch was failing....but now that I am thinking about it, it could be caused from the a faulty neutral safety/range sensor.

Thats the part.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the part.

Thanks. I ordered it online and I am going to pick it up on my way home. I cleaned my terminals last night and I am letting them dry today. I figured since this part is so cheap I will just replace it while I am crawling around under there since it seems as if I have a problem with this circut

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay guys I changed the MLPS, cleaned the connections and it is still acting up everyonce in a while though it does not seem to be as often as before. I think I mentioned this before but I am also having an issue when I try to start the truck. Once the glow plugs cycle and I turn the key over I get nothing. Then I will try it again and it fires right up. It's acting like the ignition switch is failing, but this problem also surfaced when the transmission started acting funny, so I am thinking they are possibly related. Does anyone know if Ford still sells the harness running from the engine bay (under the master cylinder) down to the MLPS? I am thinking maybe I should just replace that harness for good measure.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a time of year thing for me but I had not noticed this problem for a while until this past week. I only drive my truck several times a month so I don't put a ton of miles on it. But while driving it this past weekend I could be holding the peadal at about 25% throttle at about 50 mph and the truck would constantly rev up a few hundred RPM then come back down, then do it over again. It seemed like I could make the problem go away if I pushed the fuel pedal down harder. Not sure whats was going on. It does not feel like the transmission is slipping in the traditional way I a felt before. There is not hard shifting or banging into gear. Any more ideas on this one?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your brake light switch on the peddle, might be set to close blinking the stop lights.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the torque converter is locking and unlocking. Mine does this too. From what I have found and understand it's completely normal with this trans. It's never really been a problem just annoying. There is a mod you can do to lock the converter with a switch in the tech articles. I'm yet to do it. A good way to test if it's this is while driving tap brake pedal. The torque converter should unlock the same way it does when cruising. That's how the brake switch relates. It tells the computer to unlock the tc as a safety measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the torque converter is locking and unlocking. Mine does this too. From what I have found and understand it's completely normal with this trans. It's never really been a problem just annoying. There is a mod you can do to lock the converter with a switch in the tech articles. I'm yet to do it. A good way to test if it's this is while driving tap brake pedal. The torque converter should unlock the same way it does when cruising. That's how the brake switch relates. It tells the computer to unlock the tc as a safety measure.

Okay I will try that.

*Edit*
Maybe that relates to what OldBull was saying too

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we can't see your truck,so it's important you tell us what you've done.
you have 2 clear issues i can see right off.
1.a failing tps/fipl and or it's plug is dirty.
have you replaced this yet? they are a medium ware item and should be replaced every 50k miles anyway.
if you did replace it,what did you set it to?
if you didn't replace it,what are the voltage values and is it's sweep clean?

the tell tale symptom of a failing or out of adjustment tps:
you need to press the pedal and wait for the truck to downshift,where if set/working correctly results in an instant downshift and hauling ars.

2.you have an issue with converter lockup.
did you inspect and clean the solenoid pack connector on both sides?

once you have cleaned all plugs you can find related to the trans,you should then pull the codes.have you done so yet? do you know how? if so,what are they?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

the only way you'll feel it happen is if you also continue holding the accelerator as well because once you let off,it should enter a semi neutral state and pressing the brake pedal at this point in time,should change nothing.if it does,then your trans isn't functioning correctly.
a simpler way to feel it unlock is to simply turn the hazards on while driving down the road at speeds above 35mph.

you should be cautious about controlling the lock/unlock state of the converter.it's controlled absolutely perfectly using the latest 9th gen body style ecm's such as what we have.
i couldn't imagine altering it at all.
if you do control lockup,you must be careful to use it only when at speed,and make sure to unlock it before the trans downshifts or you'll eventually crack the flexplate.you should unlock it also when when going downhill,to let the truck free roll better for economy.basically,you should mimic what the ecm does for you lol.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is how the E40D should function exactly.if it doesn't,something is wrong and needs to be a addressed:

Attachments

• test drive.JPG
    test drive.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7