Tranny Problems

Glassdude

Reaction score
On a jobsite today had to come down a steep grade with lots of loose dirt. I decided to use low range and just creep down. Everything went fine until.... I shifted back into 2hi. It seemed like i was still in low range. I have a manual tcase so I know it wasn't. I shifted the tcase back into neutral and back to 2hi. Everything was fine until it shifted to 3rd it started slipping. Checked fliud level. OK and nice and red not burnt. Started out again tranny shifted ok but would not shift into OD and at 50mph it seemed like the t converter would keep locking and unlocking and OD lite was flashing. At 55 it would slip bad. Limped home 30 miles and trans temps never got above 165*. Any guesses on what happened? I haven't saved enough for my trip to BTS!!! -cuss -cuss -cuss

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
sounds like you have a tranny problem that just happened to happen when you used 4wd.... not sure what the problemo might be though

pull the codes off of it and see what that says... might give some clues

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the tranny doesnt see what it expects to see doesnt it go into limp mode? Perhaps when the t-case mis-shifted the PCM didnt get a value it expected and went into limp... I agree with the above statements on getting the codes pulled, then determine from there what went on and if it looks like its nothing I would pull the main fuse or disconnect the batts for 30 minutes.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
See if there are any codes.....

When was the last time you serviced the tranny? Maybe just time for a fluid change.

Also was you speedo working properly? If not it could be the sensor on the rear differential.

Glassdude

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Haven't had a chance to take another look. Work is crazy, put in a 14hr day today. cookoo I guess it beats the alternative. Called a friend of mine that has a code reader. He's coming over on Sunday. He said he wasn't familiar with the Ford tranny but he did mention limp mode. He told me to go ahaed and disconnect the batteries and see what happens. If it set the code once it will set it again. I guess that's what I'll do and hope for the best.

Mike

Glassdude

Reaction score
Well so much for hoping for the best. I returned the pcm to stock and disconnected the batteries. Tranny acted the same as before except this time I noticed noises coming from the tranny. Slight whinning from the begining and when it shifts into 3rd can hear grinding. It doesn't sound like gears grinding more like a bad bearing. I think it's time to give Dale a call :( :( :( :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate