tranny flush or drain fluid

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I drained the atf on my 97 e350 and replaced filter, then refill and add 1qt of lucas tranns fluid, later the tranny will not work too well for the first cople weeks and it just fixed itself after a while.

So what do I need to do when I put new atf on the tranny?

btw I believe it is a 4w100 tranny

Thank you.

Last edited:

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
97 is still the E4OD. What fluid did you use? Should have been Mercon and not Mercon V. Did you get the filter on correctly? What wasn't the tranny doing?

Adrianspeeder

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It is a 4w100 that is what the tranny say, the fluid I use Motorcraft Mercon atf and yes I had the filter ON right the van runs perfect now but for a few weeks I noticed it would not shift properly so I wonder if something needed be corrected (flip like a e4od?) and do so the next time I change the fluid.

Thank you.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4R100 info............ no such thing as a 4w100. ;Sweet

Was used 1997-up in many full-size Ford trucks.
1997 was a transition year where either a E4OD or a 4R100 could be found in any particular vehicle.

This is a computer controlled rear wheel drive overdrive transmission.

The 4R100 is the replacement for the E4OD but most parts are NOT interchangeable.

Rear cooler line is the cooler return line.

Band adjustment:
Intermediate = not adjustable
Reverse = Not used

Gear Ratios:
2.71:1 1st gear
1.54:1 2nd gear
1.00:1 3rd gear
0.71:1 4th gear
???????? reverse

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank you for the correction. Is there anything to do when the filter and fluid is replaced?

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Nothing to do other than re-fill to the proper level. I wouldn't use any additive, but they usually won't hurt much. You did check the level with the engine running right?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
bikepilot said:
Nothing to do other than re-fill to the proper level. I wouldn't use any additive, but they usually won't hurt much. You did check the level with the engine running right?

Yes I did, I turn ON the engine and drive it trough all the different positions then check the level and it was fine but when I drove it the first times it was like it would slip some and after a few weeks it just fix itself.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online