trailers - gooseneck vs. 5th wheel

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really it comes down to how the ride is. A fifth wheel pulls alot smoother than a goose neck and you do not get that jarring upon accel and decel. Another thing is how the weight is distributed on a fifth wheel vs a goose neck, and how everything moves when it is in motion. Alot of a camper weight is over the front of a camper, sometimes up into the 3k range at the pin depending on the camper, like a Landmark 5er we have on the lot weighs in at like 2.8k on the pin dry, and even more so once the front water tank or black tank is full. what they do is actually balance most of the front section weight as forward as possible on this unit to help transfer the weight to the front of the truck as well to balance things out. Another thing to look at is the type of weight that the truck is towing, campers hold fluids and lots of it and unless the tanks are completely full or empty you get alot of slosh movement in the camper. If you have ever looked at a gooseneck on the field that has pulled water all of its life you will start to see of stress cracks to form where the goose head(pole going down to the bed of your truck) to the upper section of the frame meet at.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know where you are located at. Is it a secret? But here is a lot of auction's that have some car hauler's listed. Auction's start next week and thru October, Darrin Tosh is close to them. http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818156755 That will get you to the site and go from there. That pic is what I'm watching when the auction starts.

I have a 16K Reese 5er hitch and a GN 22K ball on my truck, both are mounted on a 3/8" plate which is bolted to the frame. Pic's if needed. I have a 25' GN beaver tail. Biggest load I've pulled was 21500 GVW (Truck-trailer-Load) 1900 miles from Nevada to Minnesota. Went over some damn rough road's on the way, you know the wash board kind. Here's a pic of the load. Check out the trip to Calif. on here.

You must be registered for see images

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
It doesn't shock me too much when I think back to the first semi trucks I drove that had less power than my pickup ( and fewer gears :rotflmao)

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao You haven't driven my ol Mack have ya?? 180 hp AND two sticks worth of 15 gears

I had one of those "back in" style goose necks on my Haulmark when I bought it. I still usually just lifted it enough to get out, then backed in and dropped it on the ball. I've since removed it and put a 5th pin on it as I use the Mack and it's got a fifth wheel plate on it.

I did loose a bit of articulation going to the plate, but MUCH easier to back into and go.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
For those that want them, there are also goose neck adapters for 5th wheel trailers.

You must be registered for see images