Trailer electric brake shoe adjustment..

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been building a 24ft gooseneck style stock trailer, the axles have new shoes, the drums in good shape. What's the method on getting the shoe adjustment equal on all four wheels?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've adjusted many an RV 2 - 4 - 6 wheels, no different than your goose neck. Only way to do it is to keep adjusting up and spinning the wheel until it don't turn, then back off until the wheel turns with a little drag like the shoes are just touching, you can hear a little scraping. Don't know any other way to do it. The magnets grabbing and disc condition and how loose the arm is, is what determines how hard the brakes are applied from wheel to wheel.

Edit, I always tapped the wheel drum lightly with a hammer after adjusting, sometimes that will loosen them up a little more., kinda resets the mechanism.

Last edited:

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it was pretty much the same as shoe brakes on vehicles... didn't know if was a trick special for trailers

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has 7000lb dexter axles and the adjuster just ratchet/click on the spring. no mechanism for self adjusting.

I always set mine until the wheel stops and back off 2-3 teeth . had my trailer since 1996 , its been working for me since then. electric brakes seem almost too simple but they work! I only have 2 axles with 12" shoes but when I have them set up right they sure can slow down a loaded trailer. I have 10,000 lbs loadand trailer on a regular basis.

make sure your magnets are not sticking on the spring/lever> slow reaction on the electric brake on one wheel can really give you a pull.