touchy throttle

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so heres the story, i put a new u-haul ip on my 84 f-250. While i was at it i replaced the return lines and o-rings. I got it running and started to play with the timing. When i first started it it had a huge lope wouldnt really idle and smoked like a train. I got it running pretty good now but when i try to slowly throttle it up, it starts smoothly then reaches a spot where it just starts to speed up to probably 2k rpm. you cant run the rpm band smoothly, really touchy. The truck has a new lift pump, rubber sections of fuel line between tanks and pump, filter has less than 100 miles and the truck has roughly 210k injector history unknown. does this sound like a timing problem to you guys and if so which way...to advanced or retarded? The way its set now if i retard it anymore it wont go to the governor, just spits pops and smokes but its almost out of adjustment to go anymore advanced. thanks

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
I think I would try some fuel additive(stanadine oil)IMO it may be gumed up from sitting around, or some one has had there fingers in the pump;Really

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill try that. i went an drove it and found a new problem too. When i really work it, like climbing a hill it runs pretty good, but when i get to the top an pull back out of the throttle back to cruise it will start to cutout. It gets pretty violent bucking the whole truck, it will do that for three to five seconds then clear up. its easily repeatable, i can do it at will. Does this sound like i may have a air leak somewhere? i thought it might be losing fuel pressure but i would think that the problem would show up when its under load not after the load is removed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's your IP doing that. The advance piston is not moving smoothly and is either worn, or is sticking. If you had a timing meter hooked up to it, you would see the timing changing like crazy. When it comes to pumps, you get what you pay for.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats not what i wanted to hear. anyway to fix it or just throw it in the trash can and get another?