torque converter

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
whats up guys was wondering if anyone of you have a recamendation on a good torque converter. i do tow a 10,000 trailer on the weekends city and high way driving. and also funds are kind of tight right now

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the least you want a RV converter. Look around the summit racing site, or do a search. Basically get the best you can afford as they are a weak link if you are towing. When changing do not forget to flush out your coolers.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with your current converter? IMO you should not fix what isn't broken.

There isn't a lot inside a basic torque converter to break (since by nature it slips). The only parts to break are the ones that DON'T slip i.e. the torque converter clutch. And if it does start slipping, it isn't going to leave you dead in the water.

I'd suggest increasing the trans line pressure above stock to give better clutch hold, and make sure that you downshift out of OD for hills.

Oh, and if you don't already have a BIG trans cooler in front of the radiator, install one. Heat is your transmission's enemy.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i have a huge cooler for the trans i installed not to long ago. the reason i am asking is the od light is coming on and i got code 62 which is the converter slipping. it comes on and goes off spardicaly. it always throws code 62. the trans was rebuilt by the previous owner about 20,000k ago but the shop that did it did not replace the converter so i figured i would change it out before anymore damage is done

Headerpower

Reaction score
Mine started to slip with a 1800 lb trailer on the back, so just had it replaced with a TCS multidisc HD. Will try towing a load again soon so hopefully all is well now.
Just joined this site, the other guys never sent the T shirt as promised for being a supporter, all is good HA HA LOL

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i seen your post on the other site about the converter. did your lite ever come on when it started to slip. my trans lite comes on then goes off when ever it want???. i always get code 62. do you guys think it is wise to just change the converter or should i go for a rebuild.

Headerpower

Reaction score
I believe mine was a mechanical in the converter, because I never got the light or the code, truck works great empty. You should get the soliniod pack checked out, sounds like yours may be an electrical problem rather than hardware. I'd take apart all the electrical connections, PCM and Tranny, check the pins for corrossion, clean the connections with a fine brush, WD40, and then reassemble with some Silicone dielectric gease. LOL