Torque Converter Question!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zigg do you have a wireing diagram to do this mod? I have just installed an exhaust brake and want to get the most out of it.

Well, I did have one, but it was in my haynes manual that I mistakenly gave away with my last truck.

I do have the writeup here somewhere on my computer, and I'll find it, might just take a day or two.

If I recall correctly, you just find the one wire (below the brake master) going to the T/C solenoid, and redirect it through a switch to a ground. In my case I've got it going through a DPDT switch, one side back to the computer(auto) the other side direct to ground(always on) and then in the middle, it's off.

The only thing you gotta remember. If you switch it to the "on" position, you have to switch it back off before you come to a stop, or it's like leaving it in gear with the clutch out and then trying to come to a stop. At the least, you'll get some really nasty shuddering, or worse, you can do harm to the tranny.

So, mostly I leave it either off, for in town,(nice even pattern shifting) or "auto" for when anyone else may drive it(my wife or now, 16 yr old...)
The '"always on" is only for me.

zigg :)

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a mystery that TC. I never realized, really had no clue, that it was fluid that made the connection between the motor and the tranny. Now, I wanna know more, thanks guys. So, then the locking of the TC, from what you all say, helps eliminated slippage, which leads to loss of power and poor MPG?