Tin bashing

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by david85, Jan 11, 2015.

1. david85

david85 Full Access Member

I managed to salvage the stock hood insulation. It looks like crap underneath but the MLV (at least I think its mass loaded vinyl) was still in decent shape. I'm also starting to realize the sound insulation in these trucks is actually pretty good quality.

Ideally this is installed with the hood facing up since the insulation is heavy and rips easily, but I wasn't about to pull the hood in order to do that. The trick was to have the new and old layers spread on the engine, then lowering the hood close enough to get the front edge attached. After that it hangs pretty easily and the rest of the snaps can be popped in. I haven't driven it yet to see if engine noise is any better but it sure looks better than it was.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    bbjordan, laserjock and FORDF250HDXLT like this.
  2. david85

Bedliner is done. I asked them to do the rails and to cover the rear pillars all the way to the edge where the tail light starts. This results in a black line that will be visible when the tailgate is up but I wanted to err on the side of durability, even if it might scratch someone's eye. The guy warned me that he might not be able to get below the bumper step, but it looks like he nailed it.

I also got him to seal up the front gap between the floor and front wall to prevent any more crud from collecting in the front girder. If I get sick of standing water, I'll just knock a couple holes in the front corners of the floor.

As soon as I got it home, I polished up the stainless steel corner brackets and installed them. Put up a fight because of the thickness added by the LineX.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. they only charged me the rate for bed only (no rails) since I don't yet have a tailgate. That will come later once work slows down again.

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

laserjock, bbjordan and FORDF250HDXLT like this.
  3. david85

And here's the front

IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

4. DaveBen

DaveBen Supporting Member Supporting Member

I could swear that is a bedliner.

5. david85

I'm back. Finally found some time to dig out that nice tailgate I had in storage. It seems to be a pre-83 model since it came with steel bars instead of cables. Its been repainted at some point and there are plenty of spots were paint is bubbling due to solvent popping and poor surface prep. So it will still be getting sandblasted.

A few dents needed to be pulled, and a few holes welded shut. I also swapped over the latch hardware over to use the 1986 style setup. Did a dry fit and it looks nice. Not perfect, but its an 80s ford.

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

6. david85

Next up was some extra welding on the side edges. I'm hoping this could prevent the cracking that these tailgates are known for. Often the cracks come when a broken cable is not replaced.

My finger is aimed at the usual failure point. If you look closely, you can see how far apart the factory spot welds are. With only one support cable attached, I could easily see this area flexing when I leaned on it. Again, with both cables attached it shouldn't be a problem, but it was still a weak point.

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

bbjordan, FORDF250HDXLT and 79jasper like this.
  7. david85

Blasting is done. No surprises under all those layers of paint & primer. Broke out the zinc phosphate primer again and got the inside covered. What I love about this stuff is the excellent edge retention. Even managed to fill the joint next to my weld.

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

laserjock, subway and FORDF250HDXLT like this.