Timing issues on 89 7.3

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to time one of our rollbacks today because it sounds a little off. So i borrowed a MT257b Blue point pulse adapter off of a fellow forum member. Now it has been a while since I timed my truck, and moved onto slower more accident prone things.

When we bring the truck up to 2000rpm and check the timing it showed the line bellow the zero on the marker thing, so I said no problem Ill bump the timing up a bit and go home. SO I moved the pump towards the passenger side and the timing mark moved toward the bottom of the truck. Now I may b e losing my mind but isnt the mark supposed to move toward the top of the truck or did i forget everything I had thought I learned.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm totally understanding what you are saying, but moving the top of the IP towards the passenger side advances the timing. So...the mark would in fact appear to move down, ie the light would flash earlier in the rotation, making the line appear to be farther ahead of the pointer.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Moving the pump towards the passenger side fender advances it. So now the crank dampner mark will show up BEFORE the last place it was on the timing tab. Remember advancing the timing and the mark moves farther down on the tab. Look closely at the tab. At the small hole probe location is the top dead center mark stamped into the tab. Clean it off to actually see and feel it. We don't have what most all gasser engines have with the degrees made into the tabs. We just have a simple... Here it is mark and not much else.