Timing Gear Cover!

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Is there a gasket available somewhere or is this a silly-cone application?
Thanks!
Hoss.... ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Smurf ****... at least that is what I have always called it...

FIPG is what it's really called (Formed In Place Gasket)...

But I prefer Smurf **** myself - sounds cooler...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get all the old RTV out and don't let any silicone or whatever fall in to that hole where the IP gear sits. Be sure you don't make that gear jump and that you know Zigg's method for resetting the gears if you need to.

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get all the old RTV out and don't let any silicone or whatever fall in to that hole where the IP gear sits. Be sure you don't make that gear jump and that you know Zigg's method for resetting the gears if you need to.

could you dirct me to ziggs method for resetting the gears please?
thanks

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to reseal the pump cover as well. I'd like to cheat though, and I'd like some knowledgeable people to tell me why this won't work:

If you are leaning into the engine bay from the front of the truck, looking at the inj pmp cover, there is a large plug near the top, on the right hand side. I think 7.3s have a tach sensor installed there? Anyway, I took a peek in there, and the gear teeth are clear as day.

I'd like to mark one of the teeth through that hole, and then remove the injection pump and cover together.

Then, redo my seal, and then upon assembly, use the line I marked to ensure the timing is a-okay.

???

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then you can just line it up with timing marks?

Nope, you can't see the timing marks on the camshaft gear with the cover off, and although you can put #1 to TDC, you can't see that the pump gear is accurate, and it's REAL easy to get it out by one tooth, with awful results.

Geoff, yes, your method would work fine, but I take the small cover off the front, and draw a line up through the center of the gear, and then on the cover too with a straight edge. If it's out even by a hair, you'll be able to see it very easily, and it also allows you to mover the gear a titch to the left or right if you need to.

Helps to have a second pair of hands to steady the spider legs of the injection pump while you're trying to line things up for sure...Might I suggest offering one of those sweet dorm honeys a ride in that there "Babe magnet" if'n they come help you put the pump on?!!! ;Poke :rotflmao

Zigg :)

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAH My truck is only a babe magnet in Prince Rupert. Everyone else has shiny paint on their new Civics.

Sounds good. I think I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend then. The pump cover leaks so bad I found oil pooling around it!

I had the oil filler tube off today, so I know what you mean. Hell, I found what looked like an injector line plug dropped into the oil filler tube when I took it off. Sketchy. I'll get my flathead-I mean, scribe, and mark some lines. I was just about rip it all apart today, but I had fears of not being able to make it to the beer store tonight....

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Timing Cover Leak...

Well Guys!
We pulled my timing cover last friday afternoon. Took the oil fill tube off and we set the alignment pin straight down at the bottom. Pulled the Inj. pump and cover (with lines)..... Cleaned everything up really good. Gooped it up with Mopar Red rearend RTV sealant and wala - NO MORE LEAK!!!! At least there!!!!! Now I found another one on the pass. side at the front between the oil pan and the front cover... There is a pin hole type thing where the gasket won't seem to pull together and seal!!!!!???? ***????? Gonna try a good cleanup and putting some of that Red RTV in a syringe amd inject it into the gap!!!!????? Not too sure on howelse to attack it without pulling things apart. Too much work! Hopefully that will take care of it.. I had oil MORE than puddling on the water pump. It was at 2 "TWO" quarts in 90 - Yes I said "NINETY" miles...... That has SLOWED down quite a bit with the timing cover reseal. Now for the pan and front cover area....
Hoss.... ;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
on the front cover when installing it what thing special needs to be done to keep the crank seal from slinging oil? i seem to remember this being talked about but cant find the post???

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoss man, sounds like you're fighting the same battle as me.

I did my pump cover the other day, and it's totally leak free! But my pass side along the oil pan is soaked. It's not the pan gasket for me, as it comes higher up on the block. I figure it's the fuel pump gasket, or the front cover...

It was too easy doing the cover though, eh?

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Too Easy!

Hey Ranger!

Yep! The timing cover was way too easy to have stopped the leaks completely, but I did have high hopes! It has slowed down some. Now I need to address the oil pan front cover issue and I think she'll be "licked"!!!! I hope anyway!

Hoss.... ;Sweet