thrown rod reasons

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a truck with a thrown rod. I have another motor to put in it but i'm curious. This is the second or third 7.3 aftermarket turboed that i've heard of or seen with a thrown rod. Im curious to hear what the responses are for typical causes of thrown rods in these 7.3 nas?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True! Most thrown rods Ive seen are either a bearing faliure from the engine not getting any oil, or the engine hydrolocked from no cowl seal.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a truck with a thrown rod. I have another motor to put in it but i'm curious. This is the second or third 7.3 aftermarket turboed that i've heard of or seen with a thrown rod. Im curious to hear what the responses are for typical causes of thrown rods in these 7.3 nas?
Are you looking at that crew cab in Lehi? Truck looks pretty nice from the pics.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya just texted the guy. he already has someone looking at it. Hopefully they buyers way pickier than me!

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THose are the reasons i suspected, most of the trucks ive seen throw a rod are farms trucks with all the lack of maintenance implied

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines tend to consume more oil than others do.mine uses a qt every 800 miles. If I went 5000 miles and didn't check the oil ( like most people)it would be 6 QTS low by then. Being that low on oil and merging on the Fwy is a recipe for disaster.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These engines tend to consume more oil than others do.mine uses a qt every 800 miles. If I went 5000 miles and didn't check the oil ( like most people)it would be 6 QTS low by then. Being that low on oil and merging on the Fwy is a recipe for disaster.

Ouch!

Mine disposes of the first 2qts in about 1000-1500mi but tends to slow way down after that. I check it every few weeks or when she changes pitch. If you listen for it you hear it, right around the 2qt mark too.